TELEPHONE EXTENSION SOCKETS

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My broadband router was running extremely slowly. A BT engineer called and moved it from an extension socket to the master socket and it worked. After he left I realised that my three extension sockets were not working. I'm not sure if this was due to something he did or if the problem was there before.

Is it unusual for three extension sockets suddenly to just stop working?

I suspect this won't be straightforward but any ideas as to what may have gone wrong?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they certainly did work. For example the router was working of one and the 'phone of a second. What I don't know is if they packed in before the engineer arrived or because of his visit.

Check 2 and 5 are all conected in the master and the extensions.

Then call from a mobile and see what happens. You may need to attach 3 as well for the ringer.
Personally I just have wirless extensions, saves any headaches and you can take them all over the place.

Sponsored Links
Hi Alarm,

I'm not sure what you mean by the numbers.

I've just recently heard about the wireless ones. Will they work with a Sky box? Are they easy to use? Where would I get one and maybe read a wee bit about them?

Many thanks.

Numbers are inside the BT boxes on your wall.

Doubt a wireless extension will work with a sky box, pretty sure thay need a hard wired line.

Just checked apparentlty Maplin`s do one that works.

Hello,

My broadband router was running extremely slowly. A BT engineer called and moved it from an extension socket to the master socket and it worked. .

Slow speed can be caused by the ADSL signal being messed up by the layout of the internal phone wiring. ADSL signals can reflect back from the end of a cable if there is no termination. The reflected signal reaches the modem a bit later than the original and if the reflected signal is large then the modem slows down. Possibly the BT engineer did disconnect the internal wiring to get the ADSL speed higher. Maybe your internal phone wiring is too badly arranged for ADSL to work effectively with it connected.

This is a good source of information about setting up to get the best speed.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-around-the-home.htm

edit wrong link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back