Aerial Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just just bought a house and want to put in a new aerial and wiring.
The aerial will be going into the loft.
I do have decent quality satellite cable too and will be running new runs with this.

As it's in Sutton Coldfield, the nearest transmitter is just a couple of miles away so it's a strong signal area.

I've noted it's a B Group transmitter and so have read an aerial like this
DM Log periodic - http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html#DMlog is best suited.

I also plan to run probably 3x TV's from this, so would it be better to get some kind of high gain aerial (even though I'm in a strong signal area) as I know I'll be significantly dropping the signal by splitting it 3 ways?
Or would the aerial above do the trick as it's in a strong sig area?

For info I currently live a couple of miles from this new house and have 2x feeds from one aerial and the signal strength (of the TV info) is 100% quality and 70% signal.

I've read about amplifiers etc and want to avoid that if poss. Was also thinking of using 2 aerials with 2x feeds off each.

Please let me know what you would do and valid reasons are always nice just so I can understand why.

Thanks for reading :)

Sponsored Links
Log Periodics are a good all round choice. They provide fairly even gain across all the transmitter bands. Do bear in mind though that any aerial mounted in a loft is working at a disadvantage. The roof will reduce the signal strength reaching the aerial (i.e. more noise, less signal). This will get worse when there's water on the roof. Have a think about putting the aerial on the chimney stack or on a wall bracket with a pole.

If you decide to go ahead with loft mounting then do investigate using a group aerial matched to your local transmitter.

I understand your reasons for not wanting to use an amp. Personally I've never had a problem, but then again I'm often installing triplex systems distributing TV, FM & DAB and dealing with the RF2 out and control of one, two or three Sky boxes so it's a little different for me.

Go with the splitter, but be prepared to add a masthead amp if you haven't got enough signal at the TVs. Oh, and if you have chance go with variable gain amps and splitters so you have some level control to filter off noise. I had a look at my wholesaler's web page and there's certainly gear available that fits the bill, so you should be able to find something online too.

Thanks for the advice.

TBH I know its not ideal but it prob will go in the loft.
I have checked and it is a group B tranmistter so it will be a match.

I think the main question I had but didn't put it across too well was:

As I live in a strong signal area, I take it the aerials they recommend are quite 'low gain' (otherwise signal would be too strong I presume).
But as I know I'll be splitting it 3-4 way, could I say buy a group matched aerial for say a low signal strength area (hence it being a 'higher gain' one). This would then save me having to mess around with amps etc and would adequately have enough gain for all TV's.

Also from what I've read, using the splitters, you lose some gain even if the extra feeds are not in use - Can someone confirm this please?

I'm no expert as you can see and some things I'm just presuming how it works so please correct me if I've got the wrong idea on this.

Ta in advance.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
As I live in a strong signal area, I take it the aerials they recommend are quite 'low gain' (otherwise signal would be too strong I presume).
But as I know I'll be splitting it 3-4 way, could I say buy a group matched aerial for say a low signal strength area (hence it being a 'higher gain' one). This would then save me having to mess around with amps etc and would adequately have enough gain for all TV's.

Also from what I've read, using the splitters, you lose some gain even if the extra feeds are not in use - Can someone confirm this please?

I'm no expert as you can see and some things I'm just presuming how it works so please correct me if I've got the wrong idea on this.

Ta in advance.
You're asking for hard and fast answers where none really exist. You'll have to do the same as we do in the trade... Take an educated guess based on location and installation type then deal with any issues as the installation is being done.

OK thanks.

I'll try the dm log aerial in the loft and see if it does the job with a 3 way splitter (if one exists) or even 4 way.

If I come into problems I'll just have to re assess at the time.

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back