Replacing a Stop Cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Trying to do a bit of work on my house and get to know a bit more about plumbing..... (noob here)Trying to do somethng simple first like replace the stop cock. As you can see from this pic
the stop cock has no handle and is broken....
obviosuly turn the water off outside and then is it a case of loosing it and then try to fiddle it off the pipe and then just tidying it up and replacing with a new one? Silly question aswell, but is it just a standard 15mm one?

another question about this pic, obviosuly the mains is coming up through the floor which then goes upstairs into the airing cupbaord. What is that other pipe in the picture with the drain cock? Is goes staight up alongdie my mains..... (whiter pipe)

Thanks in advance

Dan

Sponsored Links
Turn your water off from outside as you said. (Be warned if you break your boundary stop valve you will be faced with a fine from United Utilities, so be careful)

Undoe the 2 15mm nuts each side, use the main body from a new stop tap with the old nuts, tighten up, jobs a gooden!

Not sure what the other pipe is, more pics/description?

thanks for the prompt reply

is it a 15mm stop cock i need to buy?

Well the other pipe up into the ceiling alongside the mains and it has a drain valve on the end...
i can;t really see where in the airing cupboard these are as they are behind the the tank......

i have no clue about plumbing.. i preumse the drain valve drains all the rads etc? would there be a case for needing 2? there is one just above the stop cock on the mains pipe to....

thanks

Have you checked whether you need to replace the stopcock, or maybe you just need a new handle?

Sponsored Links
That other drain point MAY be for the rads, yes, but can't say for sure without being there. The drain point on the water main is for.... er, dunno as I am not a plumber, but maybe to drain the cold tank...? A proper plumber will be along in a moment.

You might have trouble removing the tap assembly once you have undone the two nuts, as you need to withdraw the ends on the pipes from it. Hopefully there's enough play in the pipe to enable the top pipe to be maneuvered out of the tap.

have fun.

You may just get away with swapping the guts over

Turn your water off from outside as you said. (Be warned if you break your boundary stop valve you will be faced with a fine from United Utilities, so be careful)

Undoe the 2 15mm nuts each side, use the main body from a new stop tap with the old nuts, tighten up, jobs a gooden!

Not sure what the other pipe is, more pics/description?

Those arent 1/2 bsp nuts, will be a barsteward to change if you dont know what you are doing

well they could if they are feeling brave cut the olives with a junior hacksaw and use screw driver to snap them off then replace the whole assembly. Or they could buy the tool to remove olives. Just dont forget the plumbers tape for everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back