Demarcation between graphic art and photography

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is photography and where is the demarcation between graphic art and photography. I as as I am doing an A level in Digital Photography and had considered this
imgp9310.jpg
as one of my 4 photos but it is made from two completely different images.
A photo like this
73941_10150302313885063_570000062_15213111_406474_n.jpg
is permitted and that is also made up from a number of images as no wide angle lens is quite that wide and unless one has a special camera one can't capture it. This seems far enough and the same applies for stacking images for depth of field or for HDR.
However since Photography is in the title I am not sure that blending multi unconnected images should be permitted?
There are a few things that don't seem to make sense. Digital in title and yet I have to print all the pictures. I would have expected to have to digitally submit the work? We are told we need to print 16 x 12 inches and looking at £20 for the 8 pictures we have to submit. Although I can afford it I would think a school leaver may have problems forking out for the printing. I would understand if we were told must pay if we want to take them home but given no options.

I realise there will be no informed answer but interested to hear what people think.

Sponsored Links
Bit deep for me this one, but as no replies as of yet, thought I'd kick start it.

I think most purists don't class a 'composite' as an actual photograph, but personally (being a dslr amateur-enthusiast) I reckon if you've actually taken the photos and use stitching software, then thats fine.

Not sure what lecturers etc would think, maybe you should run it by them.
What does everyone else think?

Just an observation regarding the above pic, as it's so wide, there's a fair amount of barrel distortion, personally I would have tried to straighten the lines out a little (prob harder being a composite but worth a try). I know PS does it easily now in CS5 if you have access to that.

If you boil it down to its essence then surely photography is about capturing a moment in time with the greatest fidelity possible.

Graphic art covers a lot of ground in the 2D world, but ultimately I think it's about representing an impression or interpretation.

That still leaves a lot of open ground though. For example, is using a star burst filter a creative decision or is that the photographers way of getting closer to what they see?

The church I agree very poor but wanted an example of where the process is purely to combat the limitations of the camera there are cameras which one can mount on a tripod which rotate scanning the picture in as it rotates however not seen a digital version only old film.

The lecturer says we can combine images. However he is noted for changing his mind and on a number of occasions we have been told something only for him to deny he ever said it and impose new rules.

The waterfall is the image I want to use and just a little worried that he will again change his mind and disallow it.

There is so much today done with composite images. HDR, Panorama, and stacking all enhance the original image and do not really stretch into the graphic design area. Layers have been used for years and with a tripod it is so easy to blend near an far distance.

The camera has long been used by artists well before film was invented with the camera obscura and of course there was the ability for the artist to change the scene as he felt fit.

Forever there seems to be an argument should telephone lines be removed or left in. And where one works with images in this way it is more like the picture from an artist than a photograph.

However go to a photo club and one hears "Burn" "Dodge" "Crop" all the time and I think it must be rare any photo is submitted without levels and unsharp mask being adjusted.

But it is the demarcation line between a photograph and a graphic design I am looking for and I can't find any reference to when one becomes the other.

Sponsored Links
If your lecturer keeps changing the rules then you have a real problem. Get something in writing so he can't back out.

Photo manipulation has always been available. The art of the dark room has been replaced by the PC program. But IMO if you end up creating a collage from several images then you've strayed in to the realms of Graphic Art rather than photography. In effect you are using the original images as a painter would use oils on their canvas. The images are raw ingredients consumed to create the final product.

As an aspiring photographer you should try to get a good an image as possible at the time of shot, whilst keeping in mind what you can do to it later. (Admittedly, there are times when you KNOW there is a good pic in the view somewhere, so you have no option but to snap away and make it good later on in PS.)

Believe me, you'll get a lot more from photography of you a) know what makes for a good photograph and b) are able to get it in the pic from the start.

Just my 2p.

When one walks around one looks of course for what will make a photo.
However I find I get a challenge for example take photos on the theme of water.

Or at the moment "Explore another time, another place" is the theme.
So I know where there is an old tractor, Rake, gipsy caravan but in most cases the surrounding area is a complete mess.

So how can I use the image? In the main it is by swapping the back-ground.

The waterfall for example was an old dam with bricks and concrete all around it. So I took to pictures of the waterfall one fast and one slow and blended both so some creamy water and some sharp catching the drops. I then to a picture of a cliff face with a cavern in it where lead was mined. This gave a naturally black area. Arranged the blend to also be behind the bush so not too easy to see join. Finally removed an odd twig from foreground.

All images taken in RAW format so to publish it has to go through photo shop as does every one of my images. In fact in exam one has to use RAW images pre-processed (Jpeg is pre processed even if auto done in camera) are not allowed.

The exam paper which I got on Friday has examples of what is expected and one of the examples is clearly a composite image so what ever I had thought it is now plane that composite images are allowed.

I had also wanted to submit 4 very different images on water and again the examples show that is also permitted.

I feel sorry for the school leaver. Not a very fair exam. With a car, software, multi-lenses, filters, tripod etc. I have a massive advantage over the 16 year old who is lucky to get a D-SLR and have to use a bus to get to any venue.

No wonder some of the Universities are now not accepting an Art A level.

I have one huge advantage. It will not affect me if I fail. Purely for enjoyment I already have a degree. And since it will not affect me I have no worries about upsetting the lecturer who will at the end mark the exam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back