Accenta/Optima fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, newbie here. I have an Accenta/Optima intruder alarm with LCD key pad. This morning I switched on a light and a fuse tripped and the light went off. I quickly went to the fuse box and flipped the relevant switch back up and the alarm started to go off. I silenced it as usual by entering the code, but there is now no text in the pane (such as date or time or 'System unset' message). I've tried pressing Reset and Set but no text options appear. The alarm itself seems to be working - I tried setting to pop outside and it activated on re-entry, all OK.

i) does the fact that the alarm went off when the fuse tripped mean the battery may be low?
ii) how do I get the text options to re-appear?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
yep, you need a new battery!

Thanks. A bit gallling for a system installed new in April 2008. I'll try and change it myself, haven't a clue how to go about it mind you but it beats trying to find a trustworthy alarm installer. Rant over and thanks again.

if you have trouble you can always ask us, thats what we are here for!!

you can get a good engineer (and at a reasonable cost) if you go to the SSAIB website and make a few phone calls to local companies

Oasis

Sponsored Links
if you have trouble you can always ask us, thats what we are here for!!

you can get a good engineer (and at a reasonable cost) if you go to the SSAIB website and make a few phone calls to local companies

Oasis

Cheers - may well do that - this particular guy had also advised me to get new patio doors (from his contact) when all I needed was to replace a slider (took me 30 mins and £20) - hence the earlier dig at installers.

Cheers - may well do that - this particular guy had also advised me to get new patio doors (from his contact) when all I needed was to replace a slider (took me 30 mins and £20) - hence the earlier dig at installers

So from one experience you tar all with the same brush.

Your a ****
Simple as, penny pinching wan ker who leeches of others.

Hope you have an intresting life. ( Chinese proverb, in case your totally thick).

Cheers - may well do that - this particular guy had also advised me to get new patio doors (from his contact) when all I needed was to replace a slider (took me 30 mins and £20) - hence the earlier dig at installers

Your a ****

Hope you have an intresting life. ( Chinese proverb, in case your totally thick).
Oh come on, don't mince your words, say what you really mean.

Your a ****

Hope you have an intresting life. ( Chinese proverb, in case your totally thick).[/quote]

:) Surprised to get cyber-nutters on this site but since you ask - there was the other guy who repaired the patio door lock before that, charged me over £700 including £150 just for going to get a part he needed after he'd dismantled the mechanism - that's £75 an hour each way for a journey across S London when he was supposed to be 'local' according to Yellow Pages ad. Then there's the guys who quote £130+ a time for annual alarm 'maintenance' visits lasting maybe 15 mins - I pass on that and pay the extra insurance. Casting the net wider, there was the plumber who wanted to charge me £225 to replace a toilet valve with a slight leak and was talking abt maybe more if he 'had to remove surrounding tiles' (which I knew was bull*** ) - I did it for £40 in 20 mins. Etc etc etc.

If you're (NB: not 'your', moron) rich as well as stupid, you can pay these people, but don't expect normal people to.

Thanks. A bit gallling for a system installed new in April 2008. I'll try and change it myself, haven't a clue how to go about it mind you but it beats trying to find a trustworthy alarm installer. Rant over and thanks again.
So you expect a battery to last forever then?

Agreed, that (nearly) 3yrs is a little short, 5yrs is the normal change/replace time, but it happens, it seems in your perfect world the battery should last for ever.

It sounds as though the alarm is not fed from its own supply from the mains fuse box but from a lighting circuit - WRONG.

Another thing as you have found, to use your first post to slag off all alarm installers is not a good idea when you expect those same people to help you out, in their own time F o C

My rant over.

ps I'm in Kent, might have offered to help you out directly 'for a drink' but I pass.

So you expect a battery to last forever then?

Agreed, that (nearly) 3yrs is a little short, 5yrs is the normal change/replace time, but it happens, it seems in your perfect world the battery should last for ever.

It sounds as though the alarm is not fed from its own supply from the mains fuse box but from a lighting circuit - WRONG.

Another thing as you have found, to use your first post to slag off all alarm installers is not a good idea when you expect those same people to help you out, in their own time F o C

My rant over.

ps I'm in Kent, might have offered to help you out directly 'for a drink' but I pass.

Nah mate - what you say is fair enough but I knew when I said it it'd put backs up on here and I'd probably end up paying for it to get done but I'm fed up with getting ripped off instead of just being able pay a fair price for a reasonable bit of work - it's not just the battery life. I know yous on here do good stuff but that's my experience. Outta here now and not opening replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back