What should I look for in a good, basic alarm system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will need to protect a 3-bed semi with a small garage to the side of the house and a large shed at the rear of the back garden.

What should I look for in an alarm system to cover all of this? I would also like security lights front and rear.

Sponsored Links
to be honest i would advise you to contact three local SSAIB companies and get quotes!

then decide wether you want to DIY or get a proffesional company in!

don't use ADT, they will have you on contract for years!

After a fair bit of research, I opted for a Texecom Premier 24 panel with texecom PIR's, keypad and sounder.

I spent a whole weekend reading the installation manual (which I had to get separately as it didn't come with the panel), and another weekend installing it. I went for a pretty basic setup with PIR's and door contacts, but you could make it as complicated as you want - just plan it well before hand.

The hardest part believe it or not was running the actual cables.

Works great, and i'd recommend it as a diy project.

I'd recommend a scantronic 9751 panel (expandable to 24 zones), Pyronix Quad PIRs, Pyronix twin alert internal sounder & a pyronix Deltabell external sounder. Also a Menvier SD1+ speech dialler to report alarm to your tel/ mobile. Like Oasis said don't bother going with expensive monitored contracts.
I installed it all myself, but if you if you're in doubt, better get a pro to do it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to jump onto this thread,

S1962a - I too have opted for that alarm and will be buying prob at the weekend - Could you please send me the manual you mentioned? I'd be very grateful. (I've took the liberty of adding you as a friend on here as you cant send PM's without this). Think I'll get it with the programming cable sounds like it makes things easier.

Question on the cabling - did you just sink it in the walls or what, this is the biggest issue I can see for myself - Also did you use the screened cable?

Also on the PIR's did you opt for the dual or quad ones?

Did you go for Poly or metal box?

Could you recommend where you purchased it from?

Hopefully the OP wont be too unhappy with me posting and fingers crossed my Q's may help them too :)

Have a good day peeps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back