recording from Freeview

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-ES20 and a Toshiba Digital TV with built in Freeview. It would appear that I can't record Freeview stations only the five terrestial stations, Can someone tel me what I have to do to rectify this problem. The Recorder gives brilliant pictures of the five stations that can be recorded. Any info welcomed.

Sponsored Links
assuming its only fitted with an analogue tuner you will need a freeveiw box
unless you can get a back feed from the tv but then you can only watch what your recording unless you have another input source like sky
then its up to the set up if it works

It would appear that all DVD recorders only work on analogue signals. I have a DVD recorder with a built-in Freeview tuner, but they are two separate items in the same box (with separate aerial feeds) and the DVD gets an analogue signal from the Freeview tuner. As said above, you could get a Freeview box just for your DVD recorder. Some even support programming.

Alternatively, consider a digital PVR (e.g. Humax). These record the original digital signal, allowing you to select subtitles (or not) during playback amongst other things. Some support HD too (which your TV's tuner might not).

Thanks Big-all for the info. Thanks Ajrobb for your info. I am a bit puzzled by the fact that that your recorder with built in Freeview has two aerial feeds, by this do you mean two aerial input sockets and if so which one do you use as I have only one aerial lead from the rooftop antenna. Forgive my ignorance but
I forget things a bit this days as I'm 83. My main activity these days is making videos for Youtube and I have to keep looking at the manual when I'm editing on the PC. Incidently my area is not yet changed over to Digital but I can get Freeview OK. I am using a 37" Toshiba Digital CRT TV which is not HD ready. I need a Freeview recorder that will play back normal DVD's and enhance them, as well as recording Freeview stations. Can you recommend such a recorder.
thanks again.

Sponsored Links
My Father-in-law is 86 and has a Sony RDRDC90 Freeview+ DVD recorder. This is NOT a digital PVR but allows analogue signals from the built-in Freeview receiver, camcorder etc to be recorded on DVD or built-in hard disc drive (HDD). The HDD gives more flexibility than a plain DVD recorder.

Where there is more than one aerial input, use the Freeview input. The DVD recorder component may have an analogue tuner, so you could continue to record the analogue channels too.

Thanks Ajrobb for prompt reply. I have settled on A panasonic Ex83 recorder as this model seems to do everything I want. I am buying it from Richer sounds which has it at £50 cheaper than Curry's etc.

My Panasonic TV can be set to use it as a freeview box to record from. I note in the book it says 1W on standby, 15W when on freeview TV screen off and 115W normal viewing. Look on the spec of your TV and see if the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back