Offsite deactivation of burglar alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
alright, ive been recently asked about burglar alarms and whether they can be remotely deactivated in case of false alarm. the owners of said flat live over an hour and a half away and would like this option.

i am not a burglar alarm installer and have told them this. but curiousity killed the cat and im very interested in knowing if this is possible.

i fit commercial fire alarms and know that we can access fire panels through a modem in example say from tesside to london.

hopefully you can help me with this query

kind regards cuv

Sponsored Links
need a bit more info;

so, the client wants to be able to open and close the system by remote?
by computer?

this is possible but you would need some serious kit, you cannot really do it on a basic DIy system,
we use Galaxy and have a couple of sites that are set from the ARC (Monitoring Station).

we have to call the ARC and they open the system, we can if required close the system upon leaving the building, but generally we don't.

if the client lives an hour and a half away, why don't they get a local person to hold keys for them?

also the external siren will (should) only sound for 15 mins any way,
if the system is a good one, fitted correctly, maintained and serviced annually, it should not false alarm anyway>

Oasis

ive been recently asked about burglar alarms and whether they can be remotely deactivated in case of false alarm. the owners of said flat live over an hour and a half away and would like this option.
Again just curious. How do you know for certain it's a false alarm and who locks the doors after the burglars left?

You can do this with DIY kit very easily.

The Yale Premium Alarm (6400) connects to your phone line and with a mobile phone you can

1. receive a message if the alarm is activated

2. Set and unset the alarm by calling home with your mobile phone.

3. Activate the sirens. Stop the sirens.

4. Check alarm status armed , disarmed or part armed.

5. Listen into your home using the panels inbuilt microphone.

Sponsored Links
hmm, i did toggle my pannel with two way radios using selcall and radio outputs.

however to be done over the phone i guess you'll need a DTMF decoder chip some other electronics and relays and you'd need something to pick up the line when it rings.

now if they can install a half decent cctv recorder you could use the relay output to latch/unlatch however you'd need internet access to access the camera setup but you could see if someone is in the house.

if the house dont get broken in to why does it false alarm? maybe theres something near a detecter and or a power cable which is shunting high amps near an alarm cable (1 meter unsheilded 0.5m sheilded) however a change to tritech PIRswhich is a great idea in any system now or depending what pannel have it set for duel knock

You can do this with DIY kit very easily.

The Yale Premium Alarm (6400) connects to your phone line and with a mobile phone you can

1. receive a message if the alarm is activated

2. Set and unset the alarm by calling home with your mobile phone.

3. Activate the sirens. Stop the sirens.

4. Check alarm status armed , disarmed or part armed.

5. Listen into your home using the panels inbuilt microphone.

Hi YaleGuy,

I notice you mentioned listening into your home using the panels inbuilt microphone. How do you do this? I've looked everywhere but all I can find are the instructions (from the manual) i've pasted below. Have I missed something?

Many thanks

----------------------------------------

Remote Access
The control unit allows you to control your system
remotely through the telephone line.

1 Dial the phone number associated with the Control
panel.

2 Hang up on the first ring.

3 Wait 5-10 seconds.

4 Dial the number again.

5 The control unit will answer the phone on the first
ring of that second call.

6 Enter your PIN Code within 3 seconds.

7 If the PIN code is correct, you will hear a long
beep. A list of different functions is detailed below:

Press 2 Put the system into away armed mode (arm

the system).

Press 3 Disarm the system.

Press 5 Checking the system status. Long single

beep for Away Armed, two beeps for Disarmed and
three beeps for Home Armed.

Press 7 Siren on.

Press 8 Siren off.

Press 9 or 0 Disconnect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back