Cable from NTE5A faceplate to RJ11 SOCKET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running dedicated wiring from the back of the NTE5A located in the loft to a RJ11 socket located downstairs. The instructions that came with the filtered faceplate, advised using Cat5e twisted pair cable for this connection. However I have been advised that that is not a good idea and that I should use ordinary telephone cable

Would appreciate any comments on which is best cable to use for the purpose

Sponsored Links
I am running dedicated wiring from the back of the NTE5A located in the loft to a RJ11 socket located downstairs. The instructions that came with the filtered faceplate, advised using Cat5e twisted pair cable for this connection. However I have been advised that that is not a good idea and that I should use ordinary telephone cable

I assume that you are wiring this off of the filtered front plate and not ACTUALLY off of the back of the NTE (the screws)
Why were you advised not to use Cat5? Was it for aesthetic reasons?
Ordinary phone wire for a data extension would not work very well.
The old BT data kits came with a slim cat 5 in white, which could be tacked and would not look too nasty.

ADSL signals are data signal designed to travel along telephone cables.

Signal loss along a CAT 5 cable is about the same as the loss along BT cable

CAT 5 cable has more twists per metre than telephone cable has. This means the impedance of CAT 5 is different to the impedance of telephone cable.

It is the change from BT cable impedance to CAT 5 impedance at a terminal block that causes some degredation of the ADSL signal ( impedance mis-match and reflections ). Changing at the filtered face plate has less effect due to the filtering.

I assume that you are wiring this off of the filtered front plate and not ACTUALLY off of the back of the NTE (the screws)
Why were you advised not to use Cat5? Was it for aesthetic reasons?
Ordinary phone wire for a data extension would not work very well.
The old BT data kits came with a slim cat 5 in white, which could be tacked and would not look too nasty.

Yes I am wiring off the filtered faceplate which has its own dedicated connections for the data cable, down to a rj11 socket.

bernardgreen has given his reasons,see above, I would be changing at the filtered faceplate, mentioned in his comment

Sponsored Links
I don't think it will make much difference whether you use cat5 or proper BT spec phone cable.

Afaict either will be much better than the cheap crap that many DIY sheds sell as phone cable. This may be why the faceplate vendor tell you to use cat5.

I have used CAT5E for the connection and have found that my Broadband has slowed down to a snails pace.....It's like dial up, achieving a download speed of only 125kbps

Could it be the cable causing this slow speed or something else... :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back