connections from filtered Faceplate to RJ11 Socket

To throw my findings into the argument,

I did used the twisted pair CAT5E cable from the filtered faceplate down to the RJ11 socket. I have found that although the connection is stable, my broadband speed is very, very slow :cry:

Do you think the mismatch at the faceplate is causing this, and would changing the wire to normal telephone cable speed things up a bit :?:

Sponsored Links
Check the broadband speed first with the modem connected at the master test (back) socket.
If that is OK check that all of your connections are perfect. A change to telephone cable from Cat 5 would not be worthwhile. If using modern phones, don't connect wire 3 (bell) as this can affect bb speed.

I doubt VERY much it is the fact you used CAT5 cable. Plenty of network installations patch ADSL over CAT5/CAT6 & see no performance loss-that is over the maximum horizontal run of 90m! Did you use a pair of colours in the CAT5? The ring wire does not come into play if you are wiring an extension off the unfiltered connections on the rear of the faceplate. Have you donea continuity check on the extension?

I doubt VERY much it is the fact you used CAT5 cable. Plenty of network installations patch ADSL over CAT5/CAT6 & see no performance loss-that is over the maximum horizontal run of 90m! Did you use a pair of colours in the CAT5? The ring wire does not come into play if you are wiring an extension off the unfiltered connections on the rear of the faceplate. Have you donea continuity check on the extension?

Yes I used the Blue/White pair for the connection, connecting them to A and B that is shown on the picture of the filtered faceplate at the start of the thread. A and B are dedicated connections for this purpose.

Could you also advise how I do the continuity test??

Sponsored Links
Plenty of network installations patch ADSL over CAT5/CAT6 & see no performance loss-that is over the maximum horizontal run of 90m!

What sets the maximum of 90 metre ?

ADSL signals travel over several miles of telephone cable in less than ideal conditions, the format of the signal is designed to work over telephone cables.

The loss od signal is noticable ( on test equipment ) where ADSL signals cross a junction between telephone cable and Cat5 cable. The impedance mismatch between the two types of cable is the cause of loss and signal degredation. On a strong ADSL signal that loss has no noticable effect of data rates. On a weak ADSL signal that loss and degredation can significantly reduce data rates,

The ring wire does not come into play if you are wiring an extension off the unfiltered connections on the rear of the faceplate. Have you donea continuity check on the extension?

The best results are obtained by separating phone wiring from ADSL wiring at the NTE5 which means the bell capacitor in the master socket can be used with wire 3 to feed the telephone bells in the way the system was designed to operate.

90M is the conventional maximum for "horizontal cabling" in a structured cabling setup. IIRC this comes from ethernet's maximum of 100M with an allowance for 5m of patch cable at each end.

On a weak ADSL signal that loss and degredation can significantly reduce data rates,

And that seems to be something which a lot of people don't realize. Just because you can get away with using CAT-5 cable in many cases with no noticeable effect on the data rate, it doesn't mean that signal degradation isn't taking place because of the impedance mismatch, and it doesn't mean that with weak ADSL signals that degradation won't have an impact on the achievable rates.

With the sort of ADSL signals received at more distant locations from the exchange, unterminated taps on the line (such as will result from extensions) can also have a significant impact, which is why placing a filter at the NTE and then connecting a single line directly to the ADSL modem is a much better proposition than using microfilters at jacks all over the house.

I dont know how or why, but I have been away for a few days and on my return have found that my Broadband speed has improoved somewhat...

In fact it is a lot faster than before I installed the new set up, its almost doubled. :D......

How has this hapened all of a sudden without me touching anything???

One possibility for the improvment is that the equipment at the exchange has discovered that your equipment has improved and as a result has allocated more bandwidth to your line.

High speed on its own does not mean high data rates. With high speed comes errors and if increasing speed increases errors then the over all result can be slower data rates.

Where the exchange has limited internet access it can only share what it has among the subscribers. If a subscriber's set up is returning errors then the exchange may ( repeat may ) slow the speed to that subscriber to improve the data rate.

Just to be sure what we're talking about here, how are you measuring your speed?

Are you actually looking at the DSL rate as reported by your modem/router, or are you using one of those online speed checker sites?

Just to be sure what we're talking about here, how are you measuring your speed?

Are you actually looking at the DSL rate as reported by your modem/router, or are you using one of those online speed checker sites?

Online speed checker site used to show around 2 mb which is what I was told my line was capable of. The same site now shows a speed of 4 mb

The DSL rate reported by my router is even higher at over 6 mb

It's the actual DSL rate reported by the modem which is the figure you want to be looking at to see if wiring changes have made any improvement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back