upvc external french doors from wickes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing brick to brick width opening size is 1620mm.
Height 1090mm.

Wickes French doors are 1490mm x 1090mm.

Allowing 5mm each side to the wickes door frame = 1500mm.

Therefore 1620mm less 1500mm = 120mm divide 2 = 60mm short on both sides.

My question being, can I fill this with a 60mm timber batten/frame screwed to the plastic frame, then long bolts through both to brickwork, cover it with plastic trim on completion to hide.

Or is there plastic frame packers or should I have the doors and frame made to measure.

Obviously the cill will be too short and may start looking rather messy.
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you were to pack out the space, what is the thermal quality of your packing material ? If its not at least that of the doors, it would be a waste of time, and your money. You decide.

Yes you can buy extension pieces made from upvc to add on to windows or doors they come in 15mm 25mm 40mm widths.

If you look at the side of the door frame you will see ridges running down from top to bottom,the extension pieces just clip onto each side and are a tight fit.

If you got 2x 25mm extensions this would leave 10mm short which would only be 5mm each side when fitting. use 5mm packers then you can if you want use expansion foam or just silicone down each side (to make draught proof before fixing your trim on.

Your timber Idea can be done as well, but when you put your trim on it will look uneven on one side of the door.

RAVER.

Blimey wicked doors are 1090 high....:), just pay and get a made to measure set, wicked doors are cheap crap

Sponsored Links
how much are you likely to pay for good quality made to measure french doors white upvc inside brown on the outside (inc fitting)

how much are you likely to pay for good quality made to measure french doors white upvc inside brown on the outside (inc fitting)

I would say including fitting £900-1200 depends were you go. Give you an idea i could supply only a set made to measure lets say 1600 x 2100 in white £525, fitted will be about £990. add about 25 % for woodgrains

£525 pretty good but £990 fitted ? seems a bit dear for fitting in these times tbh mate..think would have a look at fitting myself to save that sort of money :) cheers anyway

Well....... £525 is too cheap for wood on white supply only and £990 is too dear fitted, especially if the 'hole' is already there. I'd be looking at about £700 supplied or £850 supplied and fitted.

yes the hole is already there..just rip out the crap old sliding patio doors! which a burgalar can simply lift out! that easy lol £850 sounds more like it tbf :)

Just shop around locally - fix your budget and stick to it. Its a buyers market; play any number of suppliers off against each other and see where the chips fall ;) Good luck pal

Some people, what about fuel, vat, fensa reg, 10 year warranty, trim and fixings , labour, all has to be taken into account
Also depends where you are in the country that will affect the price

Sorry I did not come back earlier.

Yes I did mean 1500 x 2090mm
The made to measure doors I have now had a quote for supply only including VAT:
French doors £740
Sliding doors £583

Wickes are £430 all in, £310 difference, quite alot.

Still, I suppose you pays yer money and get what you pay for!
Are the Wickes ones that bad as others have posted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back