DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Apple iPad now official


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Hardware
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sweet

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 5743
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 1016 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote

In the shops On the 25th, that's a week Friday.

Check it out!

What do you think?

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/


Last edited by sweet on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Monkeh

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 3715
Location: Cornwall,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 287 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Seeing as you asked..

Hooray, another overpriced, underpowered, intentionally crippled fashion accessory from Apple! Yet one more item I can happily not buy and laugh at the owners of.
Back to top
The following 2 users say thank you to Monkeh for this useful post:
opps (11 May 2011), AndrewSchofield (6 Apr 2011)
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 35578
Location: Hampshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1198 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Ah, the must-have latest I-Fad
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
joinerjohn

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 6146
Location: Derby,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 198 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't even support Adobe Flash,,, and the poor Chinese that make them are either poisoned by materials used in the manufacture or throw themselves off the top of the factory where they are made.

Yep great advertising slogan for Apple. "Buy an I Pad, sod the cost."
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
timmy toad

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 80
Location: Bedfordshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1 time

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote

joinerjohn wrote:
and the poor Chinese that make them are either poisoned by materials used in the manufacture or throw themselves off the top of the factory where they are made.


Bloomin Heck Joiner John, i remember hearing about the worker jumping off the roof of a factory, they didnt say it was an Apple factory, do you have anything to confirm this, my missus was going to get one (she wouldnt know what Flash is anyway) until i told her that amazing "fact".

tim
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
joinerjohn

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 6146
Location: Derby,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 198 times

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote

Here you are Timmy http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/22/chinese-workers-apple-nhexane-poisoning

And this one too.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/tenth-worker-at-ipad-factory-commits-suicide-1982897.html

Yep it seems Apple put profits before anything else,,, even human lives.
Had they been an ethical company, Apple would have refused to deal with these factories, after a few deaths.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
EFCLee1

from United Kingdom

Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 1308
Location: Liverpool,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 42 times

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote

Apart from not supporting flash, one other massive deal breaker is no "multitasking"

Try playing music while browsing the web, same goes for the iphone total bolox

The simplistic user is interface aimed at the non-tech savvy and is very very overpirced

Android is the future!!!
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
sweet

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 5743
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 1016 times

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote

Its the probably most successful electronics consumer product ever in it's debut year. The people get it.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
EFCLee1

from United Kingdom

Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 1308
Location: Liverpool,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 42 times

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote

I have never seen the fascination with the iphone to be honest, I agree its a pretty good device but as pointed out it does lack somewhat in features and this is not reflected in the price quite the opposite, plus I have never wanted to pay 35+ per month on a contract so other phones more suited to my needs and cheaper have sufficed, namely HTC TYTN II which I had for 3 years had my current phone 6 weeks which is HTC Desire

if anyone has seen the HTC Desire they will agree its a worthy rival to the iphone
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
timmy toad

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 80
Location: Bedfordshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1 time

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

joinerjohn wrote:
Here you are Timmy http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/22/chinese-workers-apple-nhexane-poisoning

And this one too.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/tenth-worker-at-ipad-factory-commits-suicide-1982897.html

Yep it seems Apple put profits before anything else,,, even human lives.
Had they been an ethical company, Apple would have refused to deal with these factories, after a few deaths.


BLOODY HELL, THAT IS SIMPLY AWFULL !!!!!!

tim
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
electronicsuk

from United Kingdom

Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 3314
Location: Lincolnshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 275 times

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote

EFCLee1 wrote:
Apart from not supporting flash, one other massive deal breaker is no "multitasking"

Try playing music while browsing the web, same goes for the iphone total bolox


I'm sorry but this is just typical rubbish spouted from someone who clearly has never used these products. There is no problem playing music at the same time as browsing the web on either the iPad or iPhone. Multitasking has been on the iPad since iOS 4.2. I think you will find that the price is also very competitive vs Motorola Xoom and other similarly spec'd contenders. Personally, I don't own an iPad, and wont be buying one until we see a retina display and integrated SD card slot.

What's more, if you believe that the workers that produce products for HTC, Motorola (or any other company that manufacturer in the far East) are treated any better than those working at Foxconn on behalf of Apple, you're kidding yourself. Unfortunately this is the price that must be paid so that we can all have our latest must-have gadgets and 50" LED TVs.

EFCLee1 wrote:
I have never seen the fascination with the iphone to be honest, I agree its a pretty good device but as pointed out it does lack somewhat in features and this is not reflected in the price quite the opposite, plus I have never wanted to pay 35+ per month on a contract so other phones more suited to my needs and cheaper have sufficed, namely HTC TYTN II which I had for 3 years had my current phone 6 weeks which is HTC Desire

if anyone has seen the HTC Desire they will agree its a worthy rival to the iphone


I had the original iPhone and subsequent iPhone 3G, both of which I loved, but were too easily damaged. My second iPhone 3G gave out after a year and the network that provided the handset and contract weren't interested.

Although I love the usability of Apple's products, I am by no means loyal to the brand, and will buy from whoever is offering the best mix of style, usability and price at the time of purchase. After owning a HTC HD2 for 13 months I can honestly say that it is the worst handset I have ever had the misfortune to own.

Last week I spent 22 on a T-mobile Vairy Touch II from ASDA to tide me over until June/July, and while it's far from ideal when it comes to browsing the net, it far excels the HD2 in the core functions of making and receiving calls and sending text messages. The media player isn't bad either.

I have two friends who have also recently purchased HTC phones running Android. One loves his new toy, the other one not so much so.
Back to top
The following user says thank you to electronicsuk for this useful post:
sweet (7 Mar 2011)
 Alert Moderators
sweet

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 5743
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 1016 times

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote

electronicsuk wrote:
EFCLee1 wrote:
Apart from not supporting flash, one other massive deal breaker is no "multitasking"

Try playing music while browsing the web, same goes for the iphone total bolox


I'm sorry but this is just typical rubbish spouted from someone who clearly has never used these products. There is no problem playing music at the same time as browsing the web on either the iPad or iPhone. Multitasking has been on the iPad since iOS 4.2. I think you will find that the price is also very competitive vs Motorola Xoom and other similarly spec'd contenders. Personally, I don't own an iPad, and wont be buying one until we see a retina display and integrated SD card slot.

What's more, if you believe that the workers that produce products for HTC, Motorola (or any other company that manufacturer in the far East) are treated any better than those working at Foxconn on behalf of Apple, you're kidding yourself. Unfortunately this is the price that must be paid so that we can all have our latest must-have gadgets and 50" LED TVs.

EFCLee1 wrote:
I have never seen the fascination with the iphone to be honest, I agree its a pretty good device but as pointed out it does lack somewhat in features and this is not reflected in the price quite the opposite, plus I have never wanted to pay 35+ per month on a contract so other phones more suited to my needs and cheaper have sufficed, namely HTC TYTN II which I had for 3 years had my current phone 6 weeks which is HTC Desire

if anyone has seen the HTC Desire they will agree its a worthy rival to the iphone


I had the original iPhone and subsequent iPhone 3G, both of which I loved, but were too easily damaged. My second iPhone 3G gave out after a year and the network that provided the handset and contract weren't interested.

Although I love the usability of Apple's products, I am by no means loyal to the brand, and will buy from whoever is offering the best mix of style, usability and price at the time of purchase. After owning a HTC HD2 for 13 months I can honestly say that it is the worst handset I have ever had the misfortune to own.

Last week I spent 22 on a T-mobile Vairy Touch II from ASDA to tide me over until June/July, and while it's far from ideal when it comes to browsing the net, it far excels the HD2 in the core functions of making and receiving calls and sending text messages. The media player isn't bad either.

I have two friends who have also recently purchased HTC phones running Android. One loves his new toy, the other one not so much so.


Well said bud!
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
daozen

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Sep 2009
Posts: 235
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 30 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote

My thoughts are that the ipad is a waste of money, I'd either get a laptop for that price which can do more or an android tablet for half the price. Not to mention you're getting royally ripped of by apples over-hyped overpriced hardware.

If you want to be told what you can and can't do with your expensive gadget then get an ipad.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
gman76

from United Kingdom

Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 398
Location: Wiltshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 15 times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote

sweet wrote:
Its the probably most successful electronics consumer product ever in it's debut year. The people get it.


Probably not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12697975
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
sweet

from United Kingdom

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 5743
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 1016 times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Probably...
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
anyone here use Apple computers 7 1060 Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:41 pm
ipad wifi 4 160 Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:22 pm
iPad or normal laptop? 5 400 Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm
Alternative to iPad, Advice on tablet for 7 year old 9 300 Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:18 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.