sterling10lcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
trying to commission panel but it is not picking up the pir's. the pir's are showing normally open but should be closed. disconnected the pir's from the panel and linked out the zones at the panel, the panel then would arm. but when reconnected the pir's back in the the panel would not arm. the pir's should be n/c but they are n/o...............??????????? any solutions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Replace the fuse in the panel that you have blown.

CAUTION - Mains supply inside the panel, that's not the one that's blown.

Replace the fuse in the panel that you have blown.

CAUTION - Mains supply inside the panel, that's not the one that's blown.

Thanks for your reply, I have checked the glass fuses x 3 but I will double check to ensure I have not missed one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Take the fuses OUT OF THE FUSE HOLDER then retest.
I just knew I'd be on the right track. :LOL:

No joy, I took the 4 fuses out and re-checked, all ok.
2A Battery Fuse
2A AC Fuse
1A Aux Fuse
1A Bell Fuse
I am getting approx 14v at each PIR and the tamper operates, I am just getting an open loop at pir on the N/C terminals, I linked these out to prove the cores ok and they were. Strange how I am getting an open loop.

Thanks.

Some PIRs have change over contacts

C = Common
N/O = Normally Open
N/C = Normally Closed

If this is the case with yours?

C + N/C might be C +N/O when powered up and
C + N/O might be C +N/C when powered up

If it is, have you picked the correct pair?

Unusual I know but it happens.

C = Common
N/O = Normally Open
N/C = Normally Closed

The terminations in the PIR are 2 for tamper, 2 for aux and 2 for N/C, 1 being N and the other being C. You do not have an option for N/O. Then at the panel you have 2 terminals marked zone which I terminated the 2 cores into which I had N/C at the PIR.
It's a strange one.
Thanks for efforts, keep them coming.
Cheers.

C = Common
N/O = Normally Open
N/C = Normally Closed

The terminations in the PIR are 2 for tamper, 2 for aux and 2 for N/C, 1 being N and the other being C. You do not have an option for N/O. Then at the panel you have 2 terminals marked zone which I terminated the 2 cores into which I had N/C at the PIR.
It's a strange one.
Thanks for efforts, keep them coming.
Cheers.

The panel is Sterling 10-8 Zone - Sterling 10 PS10LCD
and the PIR'S are Pyronix MEQ blue quad PIR detector.

Last test then.
remove all cables from pir except power.
Close the tamper switch and meter the tamper CCT you should get 0,00 on the meter or 0.10 low reading anyway.
Then do the same to the alarm pair, you`ll have to stand very still and wait to see the meter go from infinity to low ohms. If that does not work the PIRS are flucked.
Only one other reason this would happen is you have reversed pos and neg at the pir. Double check that too.

Last test then.
remove all cables from pir except power.
Close the tamper switch and meter the tamper CCT you should get 0,00 on the meter or 0.10 low reading anyway.
Then do the same to the alarm pair, you`ll have to stand very still and wait to see the meter go from infinity to low ohms. If that does not work the PIRS are flucked.
Only one other reason this would happen is you have reversed pos and neg at the pir. Double check that too.

You are a rock-star....thanks.......it was reversed pos and neg at the pir's......couldn't see it for looking at it.......magic thanks.........got another question now....lol.......see the attached documents............for the internal sounder it says connect to BA / SPK but I do not have these terminals on the panel do you know where I should put them????? also the pir's show up activated on the keypads with a tone but when the door contact is activated it does a different tone and does not show up on the keypad???? Once again thanks very much.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back