Mould on loft timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have superficial mould growth on my loft timbers due to what I believe is lack of ventilation. I live in a mid terrace with large loft conversion and it seems there are no eaves vents coupled with insulation stuffed down between rafters by previous owner of home. Getting some vent tiles fitted on either side of the roof to provide ventilation. Once this is in place, what is the best way to treat the mould growth. Picture below if it helps.

Thanks

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem (water used to actually run down the timber). I used Polycell Mould Killer spray and with the ventilation tiles fitted its been fine since.

the cuprinol products are very good once the timber is fully dry (so it soaks in). I usually use Cuprinol Green.

you should wear plastic gloves, eye protection, hat etc. If you turn the cuffs of the gloves upwards they will catch drips and stop them running up your arm. Wash very thoroughly including hair, and launder clothes afterwards.

You can get a coarse airless Cuprinol sprayer (like a garden sprayer but a different plastic so the solvents do not damage it) but in this case I would use a very effective mask and skin protection (these are poisonous products). Protect all electrical cables and water tanks, remove insulation to the opposite end of the loft; do not let the spray get into water tanks, lamps or switches.

see also advice about loft condensation at the top of the lofts forum.

Sponsored Links
Cheers all,
Ill wait for the timber to be fully fry and then remove the mould and treat, thanks for the tips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back