Jigsaw Tile Blades - Useless On Porcelain Tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought some jigsaw tile blades from Wickes (I know ... ) as I have a few door frames with odd skirting to tile around and it's very difficult to be precise enough with the wet cutter.

I'm trying to cut porcelain floor tiles and it's impossible - after thirty seconds the blade has barely made an impression.

Am I expecting too much from them - are they only any use on thinner wall tiles?

Sponsored Links
"For use on ceramic tiles, roof tiles, slate, fibreglass and plastic"

From the website, no mention of porcelain tiles and since you've already found they don't work that seems fairly conclusive on it's own.

I looked into this question recently in prep for some diy tiling, i'll share the fruits of my labours with you - it can only really be done by something with a diamond blade and a helluva lot of torque, like a mini angle grinder or the wet saw. With the wet saw you can cut the bulk out as a triangle then nibble with straight cuts and finish with a tile nibbler. With the angle grinder you can actually cut a curve, though it's a skill that looks to require a little practice and they aren't the safest of tools if you aren't used to them. There are loads of videos up on youtube of folks angle grinding porcelain tiles if you want to give it a go. That's the method I plan on trying when I get round to it.

If you have a lot of curves that will be on display and want a very neat finish though, you may want to consider getting an experienced tiler to do it. They're generally fine if you get recommendations/references, have no kids or pets in the house, and keep them placated with a constant supply of very sweet tea. Some keepers recommend occasional feedings with some kind of chocolate covered biscuit too.

Cut the bottom of the architrave off and slip the tile underneath. Allow the height of the tile and addy plus a millimeter or two.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I couldn't easily slip them under the architrave as there's a slight slope across the threshold.

I have a lot of fine grit stuck in my eyes but managed it after a bit of patience with the wet cutter. I've used 7 mm spacers on these bigger tiles, so a 5 mm gap around the skirtings and so on doesn't look too out of place.

"Are you afraid of the dark?
Always wear your safety goggles!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back