Installing a Comelit Gate Intercom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, first post coming up...

Please could someone be kind enough to give me some advice??

I have recently bought a Comelit Intercom / Keypad for my driveway gates.
I have read the installation instructions and wiring diagram for the system and being an Engineer and keen DIY’er I don’t have a problem in physically installing the hardware and cabling the system up from the gates to the house.

My two questions are, and it’s not clear in the wiring diagrams,

1.Where do you site the power transformer?? I’m guessing that it’s in the house somewhere? And,
2.For ease of switching on and off, can I take the power from a wall socket? If so I could place the transformer under the floor boards near an airbrick, then run the power up to a nearby plug socket, and use the airbrick for the external cables.

This is a list of the equipment I am using:-

Comelit Door Entry Phone System:
1x entry phones (ART 2402w)
1x power supplier (ART 1538)
1x surface mounted housing (ART 3316/3)
1x frame (ART 3311/3g)
1x power code module (ART 3328)
1x speaker unit (ART 1600)
1x module prepared for speaker unit (ART 3320/0)
1x 4 module push button (ART 3322/4)

I appreciate any guidance anyone may be able to offer…

Sponsored Links
If so I could place the transformer under the floor boards near an airbrick,

Not a good idea, access and possible fire hazard if the thing overheats.

Where is the 'usual' place to install this? alongside the consumer unit, in the under stairs cupboard etc?
Yep, somewhere sensible and reasonably accessible.
Whilst the Transformers are pretty reliable you should always consider the possibility of failure.
Also, the plug top connection is a bit 'naff'. Surely you could put in a fused spur from a suitable socket?

Sponsored Links
If so I could place the transformer under the floor boards near an airbrick,

Not a good idea, access and possible fire hazard if the thing overheats.

Where is the 'usual' place to install this? alongside the consumer unit, in the under stairs cupboard etc?
Yep, somewhere sensible and reasonably accessible.
Whilst the Transformers are pretty reliable you should always consider the possibility of failure.
Also, the plug top connection is a bit 'naff'. Surely you could put in a fused spur from a suitable socket?

Thanks for the info... yep i agree, the plug top was merely for convenience, but seeing as i have to put the transformer somewhere else i can take a spur off. - What size fuse do you normally fit for intercoms?

Blimey almost got me your system is 5 wire Powercom I believe.

All power supplies must be near the facia. Generally 20 meters.
Also think the kit is slightly incorrect, Think they do a 2 button module.

Actually a one button system with this from what i can see.

1 Way in Vandalcom.Tougher face.
1 way in Powercom. Blue backlit.

Or did you mean 4 handsets?
Knew something was bugging me about this. Still 20mtrs whatever.

Thought I was going mad there for a moment.

The module has four buttons. I know that I only need one so i'll probably blank three off and obviously not cable them up. (I bought the system off ebay a few weeks ago so had to take the four button module).
The gates by the way are only about 6-8meters from where the transformer will be located.

I have uploaded a picture of the intrecom here...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j428/h3msy/intercom.jpg

Yeah , I know the kit.
Love the manufacturer.
DO NOT split the module you will damage it.
Just have more blue lights at the gate!
Can you not get the supplies into the gate controller. They are generally behind the gate in a large IP bow. Job done.

How much did it cost?
And test it before fitting!

Good Price.
Okies you`ll need the AC output for the cisa.
Ahh teach me not to look first. The cisa will fire on DC but make no noise.
With AC it buzzes as long as the timer is set.
Just in case you needed to make it quiet.

oh right, I had no idea that the CISA would buzz. Have you had any experience of these locks. I've only seen them on the web and they seem ok. I have double opening gates so seem the best way to lock them after looking at magnetic locks and solenoid locks.

Cheers by the way for your input so far, its good to know that i am going about the install the right way.

Good Price.
Okies you`ll need the AC output for the cisa.
Ahh teach me not to look first. The cisa will fire on DC but make no noise.
With AC it buzzes as long as the timer is set.
Just in case you needed to make it quiet.
It will?

Yes the cisa will fire on DC. Try it :D.

Double gates 1 lock, no way.
You will need a footplate one 1st closing leaf to locked position. Then the cisa locking onto that.
Otherwise they would push open in either direction.

To add fitted hundreds of Cisas.
Almost as many automated gates in all thier guises.

Yes the cisa will fire on DC. Try it :D.

Double gates 1 lock, no way.
You will need a footplate one 1st closing leaf to locked position. Then the cisa locking onto that.
Otherwise they would push open in either direction.

oh dont say that..., looking at the design of the CISA i was under the impression it clamped around the pin fixed to the other gate, so it wouldnt be able to be pushed open but having not seen these locks in the flesh i take your word for it. At the moment i have one gate secured in place purely by dropping a steel rod into the ground, then the other gate has a locinox manual handle/lock on.. if you lift the rod that secures the first gate you can push the gates open... but havent told the wife that :)

Any suggestions on how to lock and secure two manual gates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back