Painting water based over oil based paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my door frames are painted with Dulux satinwood oil based paint. They could do with a fresh coat of paint but can I paint straight over it with a water based paint? It'll be B&Q Colours satinwood which is water based. Phil

Sponsored Links
It'll be B&Q Colours satinwood which is water based.
Aaargh!! I wouldn't recommend this brand - especially to go over oil based paint.
No water based paint will give as good a finish as oil but if you are going down this route at least use a quality brand. Make sure you rub the existing paint down well first though.

Well the only reason i was going to use that brand is because i have nearly a full tin. I brought it to paint my skirting boards when i did my front room, i had a tight budget! I'm quite happy though with the finish on the skirting boards. Phil

If you are happy using it, by all means do. I didn't mean to offend, or belittle your choice, but I personally cannot get on with it and find that putting water based wood finishes over oil based spoils the look.

I'm probably just set in my ways!! ;)

Mrh

Sponsored Links
You didn't offend me don't worry :) I tend to use Dulux products anyway but as i said i was on a tight budget. I'll decide what to do when it comes to it. Thanks for your reply. Phil

I've been using Wickes water-based satin for a while now, and have found it seems to chip and peel off really easily if put straight over existing oil based. I've found the best thing is to apply an oil based undercoat over existing oil based paintwork first, but ensure it is fully dry before applying the satin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back