TS400 faults - your thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like any thoughts on a couple of problems I've inherited with a Menvier TS400 system in a business unit.

Firstly the alarm goes off everytime the mains power is cut - which I think is defin the backup battery as the voltage drops off quickly when it takes over. Ordinarily I'd just plan to change the battery (I've got an installers manual off the web and have done some alarm work before) but the panel will not set as it shows a permanant zone 4 fault. I've done a factory reset but the fault persists and the wiring all seems good - no tamper light on during set attempts. No point buying a battery only to have to change the control unit to another type - times are hard!

Its a simple install - door contact on entry exit zone & PIR on zone 1 only. All others are linked out and zones 1 2 3 & 5 are clear on trying to set.

I'd say the control panel is knackered but wondered what anyone more knowledgeable thinks - will a new battery fix all the above? I'm not an alarm expert - rather a competent DIYer - sorry alarm experts reading this and sighing! If is it cheaper to fit new than get the CU fixed? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
have you fitted a loop in zone 4?
if you have and it still will not set, bin it and fit a new unit
if you gave not, do the above.

if you have and it sets ok, now is the time to find out were the cable from this zone goes to and check it out, including the device that is connected to it.

hope this helps;

Oasis

It always amazes me why everyone seems to think that doing a 'factory reset' is going to solve every alarm problem.

have you fitted a loop in zone 4?
if you have and it still will not set, bin it and fit a new unit
if you gave not, do the above.

if you have and it sets ok, now is the time to find out were the cable from this zone goes to and check it out, including the device that is connected to it.

hope this helps;

Oasis

Zone 4 is not used and is looped out as are all other unused zones - looks like the CU is knackered - walk test on E/E zone & zone 1 check out OK.

Factory resets mmm.....log off this site, get a beer & watch the rugby if thats all u got to say chap....nuff said.

Sponsored Links
I have a TS400 surplus and have just had a look at it.

There is ( on this unit ) a plastic support surface under the printed circuit board by the terminals for Zone 4, This plastic is where there are two surface mount resistors on the underside of the board and pressure on the board when tightening screws in the terminal block will press these resistors onto the plastic. This might have either broken the resistor or more likely cracked the solder joint. Before buying a new board try resoldering the ends of these resistors. Hold it in place as you solder it as if you melt one end and the other end has a broken joint the resistor will move with the iron. After soldering one end allow time for the device to cool before doing the other end or you may have it fall off completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back