panasonic surround sound

But that getup there, is doing nothing, apart from pulling apart the degaus action of your TV, those speakers shouldn't be so close to the screen, their magnetic coils will break the TV!
Plasmas and LCDs aren't affected by magnetic fields in the same way as CRTs, and they don't need degauss circuits; so speaker magnets aren't a problem...

...their magnetic coils will break the TV!
And the vast majority of AV speakers are magnetically shielded, so if the display was a CRT (which it isn't) then the proximity of the speaker magnets still wouldn't be a problem

Is soo wish I'd taken a picture of my mates Plasma TV with severe purple effect onscreen due to magnet interferrence. LCD's that I've seen with the same degauss problems have been thrown away. If you and the OP don't believe me, then fine! I've seen it with my own eyes.

Edit - I don't see a sub? Is the sub ON TOP of the TV? Needs to be on the floor..BAD setup.
???? :confused: Are you on drugs :confused: That's a centre speaker.

Strange to see a centre speaker ontop of the TV, never seen anyone do that before, surely spikes on the floor is best, but if the OP likes it, sobeit.

EDIT: I see ninjacat already made the above points too. I bet he, like me, couldn't believe someone could so naive as to make the basic errors as demonstrated in Mickymoody's post.

Subwoofer away from the source, again, a strange choice, but if the OP chooses that, then all is good.

Why ask if I'm on drugs? Is that relevent to the thread, or an insult? I was giving my opinion, like anyone else is free to give their opinion, but I don't throw insults about, regarding what they prefer?

I've had a Sherwood surround system installed for over 10 years, with Gale speakers, also linked to a seperates system, of high end equipment, so why judge my judgement - "Oh you are on drugs", when I was offering my OPINION on the system shown. Are you that childish? The OP explained his options in a logical fashion, you went straight to your pram and started throwing toys out. Grow up. A forum is for peoples opinions, if you don't like mine regarding someone else, when they accept my opinions, then take a hike.

Sponsored Links
Subwoofer away from the source, again, a strange choice, but if the OP chooses that, then all is good.

Sub bass is omni directional and can be postioned any where in the room (apart from as a coffee table :) )

so why judge my judgement

I think he was judging you judgement on the fact that you made so many mistakes in your previous post, though probably was a bit harsh in his wording such is the nature of forums.

Having a subwoofer close to the source causes more harm than good. With the SPL causing the Cones on the main drivers to over extend, Either via pressurisation of the port, or via direct direct pressure on the cone.

In order to set the system up PROPERLY, then the subwoofer HAS to be moved round the room, and mesurments taken with a an SPL meter, via a laptop and some decent room EQ software. Its the only way to truly find out if the system is balanced, in phase etc.

For example, placing the subwoofer next to my couch LOOKED great, but caused a 6dB dip at 50hz.....NO GOOD.

I have to agree, that mistaking a centre speaker for a subwoofer is a fairly large error for someone who has even a tiny bit of AV/Home cinema experience. Its basic stuff to be fair.

Subwoofer = HUGE.

Centre speaker = small

Simples ?

Sponsored Links
Why ask if I'm on drugs? Is that relevent to the thread, or an insult? I was giving my opinion, like anyone else is free to give their opinion, but I don't throw insults about, regarding what they prefer?
I haven't insulted someone on their preference. I have questioned your mental state in making such a simple and basic error as to mistake a centre speaker for a subwoofer. How can you fail to see the devastating effect that has on your credibility? You'd be better off just holding your hands up and saying "fair cop" and admitting a rather foolish mistake.

I've had a Sherwood surround system installed for over 10 years, with Gale speakers, also linked to a seperates system, of high end equipment, so why judge my judgement
Oh my god! You had an AV system and still managed to make such basic mistakes! If I was you I think I'd have kept that quiet.

...so why judge my judgement - "Oh you are on drugs", when I was offering my OPINION on the system shown. Are you that childish? The OP explained his options in a logical fashion, you went straight to your pram and started throwing toys out. Grow up. A forum is for peoples opinions, if you don't like mine regarding someone else, when they accept my opinions, then take a hike.
Oh I see, the forums are a power trip for you. It doesn't matter if your advice is rubbish; just as long as someone believes the BS you spout then you feel like you have won. What a selfish way to participate. How sad.

Subwoofer size is very dependant on all sorts of things. The Monolith as mentioned above is a ported subwoofer which is large for home subwoofers. Its little brother, the XLS300, is a sealed unit with a passive radiator and is about a third the size - not much larger than a foot cubed. Quite a few centre speakers will be around that size too, though they might be more rectangular whereas the sub would be squarer.

And if you were to listen to the monolith and the XLS300 you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, the monolith might be slightly better for movies, the XLS300 better for music, but if you have them at normal listening levels they sound much the same. Monoliths go a little lower, but not much, and when you get to those frequencies they are pretty inaudible anyway.

Monoliths are fine pieces of kit but mainly for bragging rights and for annoying the neighbours - five houses down.

Room effects and placement would usually have more effect on the sound than subwoofer size, especially with quality subs like the monolith/XLS300.

So nothing wrong with small subwoofers at all, especially if you have a house proud mrs, when smaller is often better :)

my monolith is just a tool, which is used to make ripples in the upstairs toilet. It does a very good job of it too.

As chapeau mentions - subwoofers of that grade go down to the 20 Hz level, and thats the area where you FEEL things, rather than hear them.

My dog loves it.

how much is it.

I try to push people away from all in one kits - as GENERALLY, unless you spend round the £800 mark, they are fairly poor in terms of quality, both design and sound -when compared to seperates.

I stopped myself from buying a all in one kit, saved up for a while, budgeted £1k, and bought by far the best system availible for that cost. Nobody has beaten it yet in terms of value for money....and lots have tried.

I bought : a sony STR-DG820 - 7.1 av receiver, 3xhdmi in, all the connections you'll ever need, optical, digi audio in...it goes on, 7x125Wrms. the latest eqivilent is still the same money
£199.99 richer sounds

4x Tannoy f4 custom floorstanders - £120 a set, + 50 for centre. = 290

1x Monolith subwoofer....the best of the sub £500 subs availible in the uk - £480

50m roll of speaker cable+interconnects = £30.

tv.JPG

Great setup for music, simply immense for movies. I get ripples in my toilet bowl upstairs.

Normal TV sound is subdued, DVD action is MAD!!! from surround sound..

But that getup there, is doing nothing, apart from pulling apart the degaus action of your TV, those speakers shouldn't be so close to the screen, their magnetic coils will break the TV!

If someone rings a doorbell in Coronation street, I'm up answering the door, but DVD has the better quality sound.

Edit - I don't see a sub? Is the sub ON TOP of the TV? Needs to be on the floor..BAD setup.

What an eyesore-It might sound alright, but I'd stick it in the skip!!! :oops:

an eyesore ??? in YOUR opinion.......

Glad to see you spend your time posting pointless messages to a 6 month old thread.

Thanks though, i'll order a skip for the whole lot just now shall i ?

I suppose you have a much better setup that is more pleasing to YOUR eyes.....

I happen to like having nice sized floorstanders - and having drivers on show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back