Rendered Garden Wall Planters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is dulpicating but not really getting a clear answer from some of the other topics. I'm looking for some advice on building some Brick Planters. Similar to to these

I've built foundations and building the walls out of normal 65mm bricks, but before starting i've spent a bit of time on the internet looking into construction plans and come across some horror stories about problems so I have some questions

1 - Do I need a DPC (My garden gets water logged during winter so worried about that)
2 - If my foundations are underground along with the first course of brick will i need weep holes or will a few holes drilled through the foundations be enough
3 - When I render over the bricks do I need something like K-Rend
4 - Do I need to render both inside and outside
5 - Should I also use a tanking slurry on the inside?
6 - Am I over thinking everything????? ARrrgghhh

From some of the other stories i hear on here people have had problems with moisture effecting the Render and Paint

Any advice would be welcome!

Sponsored Links
The moisture can affect the render and paint so the best method is to line the inside of the walls with dpm. Of course don't make a parcel of it or you'll end up with a pond.

No need for a dpc. The base of the planters should not be solid concrete otherwise where will the water go? Depending on height and type of plants Fill the bottom 1/4 with clean stone for drainage and if they are more than 3 feet high weep holes too for good measure.

The foundations are solid concrete as advised by a builder friend of mine, I was going to drill a number of holes vertically to allow water to escape then as suggested i will fill with clean stone then some geotexile fabric then soil.

With regards to the DPM can anyone suggest any ? and would i apply this after rendering ?

I'm trying to make sure that my walls are white and can stand up to the weather canAnyone suggest a decent white render I've seen K-rend mentioned a number of times ? or should I just use snowcrete, washed white sand and some form of poylmer addative ?

Just use polythene dpm as used for floors, the paint on stuff is really expensive in comparison. It's not to stop moisture in the wall just to prevent it being constantly saturated.

Just render it normally, scratch coat with waterproofer and then float coat then paint it with masonary paint.

Don't use K-rend, whilst a good product for houses it often goes a bit green in places with algae after a few years and that is going to be 10 times worse on a planter in the garden.

Sponsored Links
Im about to embark on the white rendered brick planters mission and wondering if you had any pictures of what you have done and lessons learned?

I was going to do the following....

1.Concrete foundations 12" deep and 6" wider than brick. (planter is 3ft)
2.Built with block work dense 7n stuff.
3. Layer of DPC to prevent excessive damp
4. Pond liner running course of internals
5. 1x Layer of brick mortered onto pond liner so liner is built in.
6. Fill base 1/4 large stones - a few weep holes installed in hidden places
7. Electric armoured cable for lighting.
8. Render up and paint white.
9. Fill with nice soil and put in some grasses.

Built with expected life span of 30 years (ie not temporary)

One of the planters will have a 6ft rear wall with a cascade water pourer in the middle pouring into a stone/gravel pot.

Tips , thoughts anyone?
Anything i said thats a major no no?

If you want nice sharp angles on your render use stainless steal angle beads, galvanized beads react with cement and will rust. Use a lot of PVA on the blocks before rendering unibond or similar. I would not render straight to ground level leave a gap by using an angle bead. Once done coat with a water sealer to protect from the weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back