Galaxy G2-20 Alarm System - A few simple questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this installed professionally not so long back and all is well, however, I didn't look into the full array of features and now want to get those done.

The G2 has an area on it's board for Phone line connectivity etc... reading the manual states that it can send text messages and alerts if hooked up.

Now, when we moved in last August I wired the house with CAT6. I currently have my BT line extended over CAT6, presented in the loft and distributed.

The 'installation' manual I've read for the Galaxy suggests that the line fed to the panel must be the master line. Technically, although extended by CAT6, I can present the master line to the G2...

Would this be ok?

Would simply adding the line to the G2 panel allow it to be able to send alerts via text to me?

Given that I distribute the phone over CAT6 would I need to bother looping back out of the G2?

Also, on matters unrelated to the PSTN connection, I'm toying with the idea of changing my bell boxes from fairly standard LED blinking sounders, to the Pyronix Deltabell's which look nice with their backlight.

I'm not comfortable with opening the panel (worried I'll never get the tamper back on and end up with a non-functioning alarm), but I work in IT and am fairly savvy when it comes to IT stuff, just not so much with other kit. The fact the G2 has resistors scares me, as I don't really understand that stuff.

However, I was wondering if it would simply be a case of disconnecting the existing bell boxes and swapping the 6 core straight over to a Pyronix... If it's not as simple as that, I'll leave it, but if its simply taking the cables out of the old and hooking up to the new, then I could manage that.

I've got full engineers access to the alarm etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Idealy the line in goes to the panel, that way it can "seize" the line and call out.
So in an ideal world loop in and out of the panel.

Swapping the EWD`s is just as simple as that, and its 5 core.
You have to play with the dips on the Pyronix if two or more fitted. Fairly straight forward and all in the instructions.

Resistors are for zones only, so do not worry.

SMS messaging can be unreliable, as you probably know. The main issue is the centre number used. No one will admit to owning it!!! And thats the networks. Sometimes its fine others its down. Best to send a test message at least once a week.

Most common one that works is 07860 980480
Do not forget max of 4 REN is allowed on your phone line.

Also remember it may be a baby Galaxy but if your unsure you can really screw up the programming. So be careful.

Ah, Sheffield and the deltabelle.
someone's building quite a fan club there.

OP, be warned, they don't look too 'cool' without a suitable logo on them.

LOL, yes indeed they are infesting Sheffield/Chesterfield and surrounding :p

Sponsored Links
Idealy the line in goes to the panel, that way it can "seize" the line and call out.
So in an ideal world loop in and out of the panel.

Swapping the EWD`s is just as simple as that, and its 5 core.
You have to play with the dips on the Pyronix if two or more fitted. Fairly straight forward and all in the instructions.

Resistors are for zones only, so do not worry.

SMS messaging can be unreliable, as you probably know. The main issue is the centre number used. No one will admit to owning it!!! And thats the networks. Sometimes its fine others its down. Best to send a test message at least once a week.

Most common one that works is 07860 980480
Do not forget max of 4 REN is allowed on your phone line.

Also remember it may be a baby Galaxy but if your unsure you can really screw up the programming. So be careful.

Thanks for your help... My Installer has stated I need a galaxy comms mod. Is this the case?

I'm happy enough just having it wired up, even if it can be unreliable. What's the deal with SMSC's, Can you use Vodafone center number for example? Or are they tied down to Vodafone numbers etc?

What is "4 REN?" (4 events??)

It's good to know I can simply change the wiring over on bell boxes. It means I can do that further down the line!

Thanks for your reply, there's an installer around here with a pretty nice looking box! It's seeing these scattered around that make me want some. The company quoted £200 to supply and install them though! Considering they're £30 a piece on ebay, £200 is not an amount I wish to spend on them!

You sure hes asking £200.00?

Ahh unless hes meaning to take over the system too.
Know him you see.
PS what things cost on Ebay and having them professionally fitted are two different things.

Why do you need a comms module? AFAIK All G2-20`s have PTSN on board.

REN is the ammount of standard phones on one line.
Standard centre numbers will not work.

Thanks for your reply, there's an installer around here with a pretty nice looking box! It's seeing these scattered around that make me want some. The company quoted £200 to supply and install them though! Considering they're £30 a piece on ebay, £200 is not an amount I wish to spend on them!
I know him pretty well, and i was alluding to him in my previous post.
He has a logo that you could say the box was designed for. Not seen one yet that gets close to it for effect. As i said, without a good logo, the box looks pretty naff.

As Alarm says, the price quoted may well be for a takeover - and before any of the DIY brigade get on their donkeys, there are very good reasons for said price.

Getting him to put one of his boxes up for you without a takeover would be akin to winning the lottery. Again, he has very good reasons for this.

I currently have one live and one dummy. I want the dummy making live...

IAS said "the bellbox upgrade (this includes any call out charges and one years service) and the additional bellbox wired and fitted would be a figure over £200"

So yes, you're right, it is more than just supplying and installing, but to be honest that's all I want.

I'm going to have my original installer back to change the dummy for live, and I'll thing about bellboxes at a later date.

Or ask on another site, you might get the same answers :D

PS
I am toying with the idea of importing 3x Geovision BL110D from Canada at £300 a piece. But I have no real clue if this is wise. I like the Geovision software, so that is really my only reason for going with the 110D. I appreciate it is a discontinued model but it meets my requirements.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading these forums and am now wondering if this is the right thing to do.

Ultimately I want;

3 outdoor cameras
IP
PoE
Good software
iPhone viewing
Remote viewing

I don't really need megapixel, so don't want more than a megapixel.

To be honest they don't have to be IP cameras but I'm big on IT so would prefer. Although understand it will be much cheaper to ignore IP. I'm just not sure how to power/get the feed from the non-IP cameras... Or how I make them accessible via the web.

Could anyone suggest a cheap non-IP, almost off the shelf setup, or some good BL110D equivalents? I've seen the XVision X100B which looks almost like for like...

I'd really like to do it for <£1000 so whatever you can suggest would be great.

What are these £300 off the shelf units like? Cack, aye?

WE do cameras too.

This site seems to be better than the others, I'll post it here too :)

Cheers folks!

Lol some of us lurk in several places :D

IP cams are still very expensive.
Good quality standard kit works well, well we all use it.
A decent DVR can give you Remote Viewing, PTZ and other features.
Most will now give Ipain or Blackberry viewing.

Easiest to power std cams is Cat5e and Baluns. One cable to each cam.
Remember lighting is your frined here. Poor light poor pics.
Low lux is capable and LED`s help.
Cable distances?

£1000 is low for good kit. DVR being the main expenditure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back