Some much needed help on rawl plugs for ceiling plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me on what is the best action to take when Im looking to put up a ceiling mount for my projector.

The ceiling is plaster board and need to know what are the best rawl plugs to use and to keep it safe and secure!

I would really appreciate some help and advice on this as im pulling my hair out!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I imagine the projector is quite weighty, so you should fix it to the ceiling joists rather than the plasterboard as any plugs will be fighting both the weight and gravity to keep it up there.
If it's not possible to fix directly to the joists, you can fix battens or a piece of ply spanning the distance between the joists and attach the projector to that.
Probably not the prettiest solution, but nicer than a smashed projector!!

so going through the joists seems to be the best solution.

3 large screws need to be screwed through, what type of rawl plugs would you suggest to go through the wood?

You don't need plugs if you are screwing directly into the timber - just drill a 3mm pilot hole to make life easier.
Are there screws that came with the projector? If so, use those. If not, I would recommend a minimum length of 65mm, preferably 75mm (2½" or 3)". I can't say what gauge as I don't know the diameter of the fixing holes, but you will be able to judge that.

BEWARE PIPES/CABLES IN CEILINGS! ;)

Sponsored Links
if the attic is above the point off fixing and unfloored
i would use a 12mm sheet of ply to spread the load over 4 or 5 rafters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back