Wiring a 2 Gang 2-way light switch for 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble replacing a light switch.
If anyone can help it would really be appreciated.

I have a light in the hall downstairs and a light in the hallway upstairs. One 2-gang switch has 2 buttons on it. Button 1 should turn on the upstairs light and button 2 should turn on the downstairs light.

There are 5 cables: 1x Black (connected to downstairs circuit 240v) 1x Red (connected to upstairs circuit 240v) 1x Red (no voltage) 1x Yellow (no voltage) and 1x BLue (no voltage).

The switch has a COM, L1 and L2 on both gangs...

How on earth do I connect this?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
are they just single wires? or are they sheathed together?

1x Black (connected to downstairs circuit 240v) 1x Red (connected to upstairs circuit 240v)

and are you sure about that?

Not sheathed together -

I used my VDM on the cables and found that the Black and Red had 240v and the other red was not hot.

when i remove the upstairs circuit fuse the Black is no longer hot and when i remove the downstairs circuit fuse the red is no longer hot -

thank you for any help you can give me

the second switch in the two way (probably the landing), what colours are there? and check continuity between each of those and the wires downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Did you not note where the wires came from before disconnecting them? If not then step inside the Tardis, dial yesterday and press 'Start'

You have two separate switches fed from different circuits. The 3 core cable will go to one switch and the 2core cable will go to the other.

Thanks for your help.... the tardis didnt work...

So one hot black and one hot red to common 1 and 2, Blue and Yellow to L1 on each swich - where does the non-hot red go?

pen and paper also not used - not used to modern technology :rolleyes:

Ok this is how I understand you.
The red you describe as 'hot' is from the 3 core cable, if so then connect the red to 'com' and the yellow and blue to L1 & L2 of one switch.
The other cable you say has 240 on the black wire which is puzzling but may have been wired back to front. If I assme correctly and this is the switch wire from the downstairs light then connect either wire to 'com' and either L1 or L2

Like This???

Gang-1 Gang-2

Com Red Wire (240V) Com Black Wire (240v)
L1 Blue Wire L1 Red Wire (0v)
L2 Yellow Wire L2

Getting there!!

Yes and don't forget to put red sleeve or tape on all the condutors, except the earths, that go to the switch

Thankyou for your help - really kind of you.

Will try tonight and let you know.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back