Questionn about Tamper faults on 9800+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I just have a general question about my Tamper Circuit on my Scantronic 9800+ System. Its programmed to set off the internal sounder only, if a tamper fault is detected when Unset.
I presume if a tamper fault is detected when the system is set, it will generate a full alarm, is that correct?

Reason I ask is yesterday I had a random tamper fault on a PIR zone, which set off the internal alarm (system was unset)I reset the system & it happened again 10mins later. Checked the wiring connection, metered it for continuity resistance, showed 1 Ohm.
Also checked resistance on closing tamper switch on PIR, it was fluctuating, but settled once cover was closed.
Anything else I should check for? What sort of resistance should I be looking for on the Tmpr switch at the PIR?
The system has been fine since.
Any guidance appreciated.
regards

Sponsored Links
What measured 01.00 ?
The cable alone not connected to anything?
Tamper on PIR fluctuating? Its either open circuit or closed.

Two things spring to mind, Pir tamper is on way out.
Cable has damage and as you walk about its going O/C.

Tamper in unset = internals, Set = Full alarm.

Hi Alarm, sorry should have been more clearer.

yes, 1.00 ohm with nothing connected, twisted the tmpr pair at PIR end & checked continuity at panel end.
I Opened the PIR (Pyronix Magnum True Quad) after almost 10 years to change the pulse count.
After a few days had the TF on it.
strange cos never had a tamper fault on any part of the system until now.

I also temporarily linked out the tamper zone on the panel, to make sure panel was not at fault.

I was getting fluctuating resistance on the PIR switch, open & also when closed, but like I said earlier, it settles after a few minutes.
Also checked another PIR closest to the one in question, and that gave similar reading.
I would like to think it was a random fault that is unlikely to repeat itself.

Thanks for your earlier reply.

regards

Easy test as its your own and no callouts being charged.
Twist the tamper pair together and put into one side of the pir tamper to keep tidy. Leave a week and see what happens.
If clear, put back into normal terminals and do the same. Fail= new PIR.

I assume you have the engineers code, when putting the tampers back in normally, put the zone onto SOAK test. It will flag the problem but not trip the system.

Sponsored Links
Now thats a good Idea, will do that & see what happens. Thanks

Yes have the eng code as I installed it myself .
Fabulous panel, really stable and i've had very few false alarms.

on the soak test, would it still flag the problem in unset state? The manual indicates that it only alerts you (without sounding bells) if system has been set.
regards

Soak test is as you describe, it prevents the zone on test running bells if it triggers. Showing the service light and the zone on unsetting.
It will not flag up in the unset position.

As above twist together in the pir and put under one terminal ( Tamper circuit). This will cause an alarm when unset if it is the cable, also when set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back