Worcester Bosch 28i Junior: hot water but no central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch 28i Junior combi boiler that I believe is about 5 years old (it came with the house we bought last year).

It has always worked fine, but suddenly the central heating has stopped working. When there is a demand for central heating, the boiler fires up and the indicator light comes on to show that the burner is lit, but this only lasts a few seconds and the light goes off. The boiler continues to make a humming sound (the pump?) and no hot water is reaching the radiators.

The system pressure is fine (just above 1 bar) and the hot water continues to work on demand - e.g. no problems taking a shower.

I admit to knowing nothing about boilers, but I wondered if it might be something simple that I could do myself - especially as the hot water is working fine. Or should I just call someone out to take a look? I fear that may be quite expensive though.

Any advice would be very gratefully received! Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It seems to be a rather unusual fault and not something for which an immediate cause springs to mind. Of course in front of the boiler the cause might be very obvious.

The immediate question is have you had the boiler properly serviced each year?

Perhaps others might have encountered EXACTLY this situation and remember the fix but it is unusual.

You may need to get an engineer but it should not be particularly expensive. I would expect it would be little more than £100 if I was doing it. Worcester do fixed price repairs at about £215 which sets the maximum but is expensive if its something simple ( as I expect ).

Tony

Agile,

Thanks for the quick response.

As we bought the house and boiler last year, I do not know its service history. I would not expect it to have been serviced regularly though. Are you saying this is a must for the future?

I will look into finding a local engineer to take a look.

Thanks again.

had similar a few weeks ago...heating came on for about a minute there was a tapping sound like someone tapping a copper pipe with a screwdriver.

Turned out the heat exch and flow pipe was completely blocked with crud!

Is your hot water as hot as it was/should be?

Sponsored Links
That sounds completely different to what the OP has described.

Its also difficult to imagine a blockage seriously affecting the heating that does not have any discernable effect on the hot water where the greater heat output is more critical.

Tony

Thats a possibility but with the boiler cold it would take several seconds to heat up and turn off, perhaps 15-25 seconds.

Then it would cycle every 15-20 minutes to keep itself warm.

Perhaps the OP could investigate more thoroughly and report back.

Tony

Thanks all.

boilerdoktor: no tapping sound, and the hot water temperature is unchanged from when the central heating was working.

Agile: when there is a demand for heating, the boiler fires up but then goes off after about 5-10 secs. The pump is working after that, as the boilers hums and I can hear water flowing in the pipe that supplies the upstairs radiators (altough this water is obviously cold). It does not seem to cycle every 15-20 minutes - it does nothing except have the pump running.

The other thing that I have just noticed is a electronic-type sound, similar to that from an old dot matrix printer, just before the boiler fires up for CH or DHW. This is like the noise the boiler makes after the reset button is pressed. I'm pretty sure it didn't do that when both CH and DHW were fine.

Thanks again for all suggestions. I'm getting someone in to take a look, and will report back what they find.

Problem now sorted. Diverter valve was stuck in DHW position. Had a new diverter valve motor fitted today, and both DHW and CH are working fine. Total cost: £128.

I've heard of a few of these faults before. I find the best way to fault find this is by opening a hot tap and seeing if the combi still fires instead of going out so soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back