Repairing bathroom tile wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, absolute novice at anything DIY here.

Basically the bathroom tiles have come off. They have been hanging off for months now ( I don't live here full time btw). While I was back I thought I would have a go at fixing them. What I thought would be a possible an hour long job tops, appears to need more time and effort.

Took off the loose tiles and it seems the person who attached them, just used 4 blobs of cement ( or whatever ) to attach them to the wall. Even I have watched enough DIY programmes to know about needing even coverage and using the tile comb.

After pulling off the tiles, the cement/plaster underneath all started crumbling away in big chunks, very soggy like sand. I have taken all the tiles off and am letting the area dry but now I have around the top edge of the bath about 1/3 of the tile height with no plaster and just brick behind it about 2cm further back than where the rest of the tiles are stuck on.

What is the best thing to put here to stick the tiles to?

I can get you a picture if you wish.

Bear in mind I won't be the one paying for it, and I'm not looking for a huge project. It's really just the easiest way to get the tiles back on and be waterproof.

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
You really posted the wrong forum, Tiling would be better. Your right in saying that dot & dab is no way to fix tiles but you have problems with both the damp & plaster failure; you cannot re-tile onto either an unsound or damp base which will take at least 4 weeks to dry out before you can do anything. If you then re-render, you will have to wait another 4 weeks (possibly 6 weeks with render that thick) before you can re-tile. Where the plaster has come off, you could pack out & fix tile backer boards to the wall level with the existing wall, assuming there is some left in good condition! I appreciate that you want a quick fix but if it’s as bad as you say, whatever you do won’t last long. If it’s really bad I’d normally suggest ripping it all off, let it all dry out & start again by fixing tile backer boards.

Here is a very similar thread;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=270998&highlight=

Sorry, I was going to post there but I saw this one and thought it would be more suitable because of the plastering.

Thanks for your reply I will present your ideas

Sponsored Links
Yes it is & I frequently use Aquapanel. Despite what it says about using timber battens, you can dot & dab into position as long as you mechanically fix through the dabs into the wall the next day after the adhesive has set, you cant just rely on the adhesive; use though frame fixings rather than screws & plugs. It’s important you fix through the adhesive dabs once dry (space on a grid approx 250-300mm) or the cement board will crack. If you mark & drill the boards first with 3mm holes, the adhesive will ooze through the holes indicating exactly where to drill through with the fixings. Stagger the vertical board joints if you can & make sure they don’t coincide with tile grout lines as far as is possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back