Hotpoint Frost-free fridge freezer broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this morning my Hotpoint fridge freezer (SFA47X) started beeping and the following message scrolled across the screen: 'Attention to the freezer food should be consumed immediately.' The bottom shelf of the freezer is defrosting and the food is now soft, the top two shelves seem to be okay. There is also ice at the bottom of the freezer.

I have rung Hotpoint and the next available engineer is next Wednesday! The guy I spoke to said it sounds like it needs a re gas, however another lady said I could try defrosting it. What does a re gas mean? Does it need an engineer to do it?

My appliance is out of warrantly so I can either extend it and get a call out or pay one off for an engineer - this thing has cost me so much already (both in terms of money and stress!) I'd like some advice and other peoples experiences with a similar problem. Any help would be very much appreciated :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it needs a regas, it has to be done by an engineer, and it will probably go wrong again with increasing frequency. My BiL who is a refrigeration engineer says he will not regas domestic fridges or freezers since they will never seal again as well as they did when they left the factory, and he gets complaints when it goes wrong again. If it does, then either get another service contract, or save up for a new machine.

Try this. You may have this very common problem with frost-free freezers (I did not know about it and spent a lot of money buying a new one)

Common Problem:
The ducts at the back, where the fans blow cold air and collect frost for later melting and draining, can get blocked with frost. they then stop working and you get the problem you describe. This can happen with age, or if the heating circuit is faulty, or if the door is left open allowing excessive frost build up

Cure:
Turn it off, and UNPLUG it, take all the food out and eat or store it or ask a neighbour to keep the expensive stuff. Open the doors. Pull it away from the wall so you can see the drain tray at the back that collects melt water

Leave it for AT LEAST 24 HOURS at room temperature to melt the ice in the internal ducts. Leave the door open so that water can run out or be mopped up. Look round the back and sponge the drain dish dry and clean. Look for any blockages of mould or food particles in the tube and poke with a soft thing like a pipe cleaner.

When you are SURE it has stopped dripping and there is no more frost or water in the ducts, plug it back in with a thermometer inside and monitor its temperature. If you have not allowed all the frost to melt you will have to go through it all again which is very tiresome.

If it does it again in a few weeks or months, and you are sure you have not been leaving the door open or putting uncovered wet things inside, call the engineer, as the heating circuit may have failed. It will be easier for him to work if you have started the defrosting before he arrives.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will try it tonight and start the defrosting process. Many thanks!

In reply to the comment on resealing.
I was in domestic appliance developement for many years, we would regas an appliance many times to determin the best volume of gas (this was the old R12). To seal was so easy, fill with gas, grip pipe, remove gas, soft solder over the copper.
Its easy as plumbing, because thats what it is.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

old thread i know but i have a similar problem but i do ac on cars etc but how do you know how much to put into a fridge/freezer (Hotpoint FFA 60)

Many thanks

Thanks for that matey also do they have normal filler ports (quick release coupler type)

Also is it possible to replace door seals on these when they need doing

No u have to use lockrings once its been cut on the pipework, then you have to vac it out and poss change the dryer that's next to compressor.

i have the same problem, although the temperature is clearly ok. the fridge part keeps everything chilled, and the freezer part freezes. still keeps peeping though.

docgibbons, read what I said Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:10 pm and try it.

thanks, am trying it today. although my problem differs slightly in that the food is not defrosting, and temperatures appear ok. i can't check the exact temperatures though as the digital display is not working either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back