Can only get BBC channels???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im a sparky and just rewired house, including areals.

ive just finished and installed channels but only get bbc 1, 2, 3 news ect

can any one shine any light on this please, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
cheers mate, ive used black coax, i dont suppose thats made any odds, how would i identify a dated areal, will try rotate it slighty but its been there for a while and can only assume it worked before i bought the house

cheers mate, ive used black coax, i dont suppose thats made any odds,
You sparkies make me laugh. If someone suggested wiring up their ring main with 1.5mm T&E because it's cheaper you'd rip them a new one. But in general you'll use any old sh-ite the wholesaler has as an aerial cable and then wonder why the results are rubbish. Get your wallet out an pay a professional to do the job right instead of bodging it.

Sponsored Links
cheers chris, if money was no object i would get folk to do it for me but as times are hard, i done this myself. i was under the impression the black stuff was accaptable as it seemed to work with brown stuff previously. can u maybe let me know where to get decent stuff or what stuff to buy?

just because its a black cable dosent mean its good

they sell black coax in the sheds for digital tv ,and personally i would stay clear ..

search webro 100 ,good stuff ,its the copper braiding coverage thats probally more important

did you just buy a wide band aerial from a shed or argos etc or a grouped aerial built for the freqencys that are coming from the transmitter you are pointing at

would a different, or new arial help?

I think there should be a national campaign, to teach people how to spell aerial, no offence Martian!

Digital and aerials don't mix well, some go overload with huge aerials, so swamp the tuner, others use bad cables, others get the wrong aerial for their area. Digital TV transmission is worse than Sky winning the battle from BsB, and VHS winning from Betamax, always the poor relative. Get the cheap option, not the best quality option.

WHY OH WHY does the BBC say 'also available in HD', then minutes later, turn their encoders up/down, and the picture pixalates, and freezes? I don't have HD, but my TV is top quality, and what I've seen of HD, my TV is better quality than HD. CRT @ £2k, is better than an LCD or Plasma IMO.

There is no simple answer. It depends on what channels your freeview is transmitted on. A yagi aerial gives a much stronger signal if it matches the channels your freeview uses.
If you want a universal aerial then get a log-periodic as it will be more directional and so less likely to pickup reflections and interference. However it does produce a weaker signal so you might need to use an amplifier with it depending how close you are to the transmitter.
See http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/best_aerial.htm

not sure about cable it does seem to be fairly decent, at least mid range.
Does the aerial cable have a metal film in addition to the braided screen?
If it does then it is at least relatively good and probably ok. If you want to get some new cable get something like WF100 which is just good cable used for satellite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back