Viritas R8 PIR's not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm currently having my loft converted and my Viritas R8 alarm will not set, all the PIR zones will not set, door contact is fine. When looking at the PIR's there is no red light on them. Before I go to my builder and complain (thinking wires have got pulled in the loft? but alarm did not go off) is there any simply test to carry out? Internal fuse maybe blown? If it sounds something major I'll get the builder to sort it.

Many thanks for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Probably the AUX fuse on the board in the main panel has blown.

If I change the fuse then will it be likely that there will be a zone that doesnt work which will indicate the zone or zones damaged cable?

Many thanks for your swift replies!

Sponsored Links
If the cable is still shorted the fuse will blow instantly.

Remove all cables from the AUX supply and meter out for shorts.

Hi, new here so hope this is going to the right thread. The alarm panel will not sound if the system is "Unset" and the Aux supply to the PIR's is removed. It is usual however, for the "Tamper" loop to be a 24hour and it will usually initiate an internal alarm if the circuit broken. The only reason I mention this is that it would be unusual for only a supply pair of wires in a cable to be severed without generally knackering the rest of the conductors in the cable.
If the alarm has been installed by a reasonably competent person, the colour codes used should be the same for all alarm loops of the same type. If the alarm has been wired "Conventional" and not "End of Line resistor" then it usually follows that each zone is wired to a single PIR or door contact. Although, it is possible to wire several detectors in series in conventional mode, EOL mode has to have individual loops. The tamper loops are all connected for all zones in series and connected to the "Global tamper" terminals on the board. The 12V supply for the active detectors (PIRs Shock sensors, Break-glass etc) are all connected in parallel. It is usual, but not obligitory, to use the red and black wires of the 6 core cables for the 12V supply. These are usuall brought into a "Choccy block" connector and all reds go together and all blacks go together. A pair of red and black then go from the choccy block to the 12V Aux on the control panel circuit board.(The terminals on the board are a bit small and you can't get more than a few wires in them, hence the choccy block if you have a lot of active or processing detectors). If you only have 2 or 3 PIR's then the wires may be connected directly into the circuit board terminals.
You need to separate all the red wires from this terminal and test each one in turn with an Ohmeter (Resistance meter) to the black terminal. (You can leave all the black wires connected.) You are looking for a fairly high resistance, kilohms range. If any show low Ohms or zero, then that is the circuit that is at fault. Again, if the guy that fitted it was reasonably competent, the cable ends should be identified as to which zone it feeds.
You can disconnect this loop from the panel, link out the tamper and zone terminals with short pieces of wire or a cable staple to allow the zone to be temorarilly bypassed. Check the output from the "Aux 12V" and ensure the 12 VDC is present. If not, check and replace fuse if necessary). Return the panel to service whilst you trace the cable / end element and check for shorts.
Hope this info helps. ( I'm a registered Texecom installer, feel free to ask if you need any further info).
Good luck,
Nat.

The only reason I mention this is that it would be unusual for only a supply pair of wires in a cable to be severed without generally knackering the rest of the conductors in the cable.

Really?
A slight nick for instance?
Have seen one core damaged in 8 from a "skilled carpet fitter". Only 3 in a 12 core. Need I go on?

I`m registered with all major manufacturers and its never helped when tracing a cable fault as indicated above.

What's being registered with any manufacturer got to do with it?
The fault is the wiring (based on description).

Sorry to have trodden on any corns here. It was just by the description Stevie gave, it implied the cable may have been pulled rather than surgery by scalpel. Also, was trying to explain why the alarm wasn't triggered when the damage ocurred. I was hoping to give him a little descriptive methodology of testing as I'm sure we're not all as expert as Alarm. Sorry if I've caused any offence.

I've looked at the cables but not tested them yet. I've noticed one cable looks crushed as it has had a board on top of it. None of the cables look to be nicked or cut. Is alarm cable flimsy enough to be "crushed"?

I am going to ask the electrician doing my loft if he can fix it as the company that installed the alarms charges a arm and a leg call out fee plus labour etc!

Many thanks for all your replies!

Hi Stevie,
Yeah, that could be the cause of the problem. The alarm cable are robust enough to do what they are designed to do but they don't withstand mechanical abuse particularly well. The cable should be easy enough to repair or possibly even replace provided you've got access to the entire run. You can get the cable at most electrical wholesalers and it's not expensive. I would indentify it at the panel end and disconnect all of the wires, linking out the zone terminals and the tamper loop at the panel to enable the system to be kept in use while you repair or replace the cable. Its not high voltage or anything and as it sounds like the Aux supply fuse is already blown, so you could probably repair it online but its not good practice. I'd have a bash at it yourself as electricians are not the lowest paid guys on site either. Simply replace or repair colour for colour wires. If you go for a repair, rather than a replacement of the cable run, make sure the repair is sound and it's accessible. You can get junction boxes for the alarm systems which consist of a set of terminals and a lid tamper switch built in. They're not much bigger than a standard door contact but if you use one of these, mount it somewhere you can get at it in the future. Preference is to replace the run as it will be more reliable without repairs or joints etc.

Regards,

Nat.

I'm a Boiler engineer - but even I hold a Registered Texecom Installers Gold Card!! :rolleyes:

we are registered with
Texacom
Cooper
Pyronix
Honeywell
and a few others, but it don't help if you don't know what you are doing ion the first place, all registrations are there to obtain tech support (if needed) and manuals etc,

they don't fault find for you!!!

as you are supposed to be the engineer or technician!

Oasis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back