Brick Pillars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to build two brick pillars at the end of my drive approx 4' high, do I fill the void in the pillar with concrete/hardcore?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
As you are talking about filling in the centre void, your piers must be going to be 327mm square or bigger.
If no gates are being hung then brick the void up with brickwork as you come up.
If hanging gates put cranked RE bar in founds finished 100mm lower than top of pier and fill void with concrete
Do not put poly DPC in. If you want a DPC use two course Staff Blues
oldun

Yes the centre void.
Ive just measured and the void will be 8" x 8", the pillars will be standalone with no gates fitted..

If you are having one of those poxy concrete coping stones, then the centre can be left hollow. If you are having a proper brick on edge or similar then the centre needs to be solid

The simplest thing is to just lay the two bricks in the centre every course.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Old codger on this one regards strength.

We shove in some lengths of rebar into the wet footing concrete then brick up around the bars.

Then fill with wet conker the next day.

If it is simply a wall pillar then drop a couple of bricks in the centre. Make sure that the infill bricks are at least a course behind the outer decor bricks to avoid any push.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back