How to convert my ADT alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A friend, who uses this site, recommended it to me. He said that someone knowledgable here might be able to help me...

I have an ADT alarm fitted to my house, which was installed around 2002/2003 by ADT. It has 3 or 4 sensors around the house, as well as some door sensors, an internal siren alarm, external dummy box, internal keypad, white control box and key fob pad. We paid for the monitoring service with ADT for a number of years, but requested it be disconnected and powered down a year or so ago since when it has been dormant.

I'd like to re-enable the alarm, but not have to pay for the monitoring, and had heard that it is possible to convert it so it calls my own mobile (or a defined list of numbers) when the alarm goes off, instead of ADT/the Police.

Does anyone know if this is possible and who might be able to do it, or what I may need to get to install myself (if it's relatively easy)?

My only concern is that whenever the alarm used to go off, I used to have to call ADT for a reset code before it would be operational again - so I'm wondering if that would still be the case, or if it could be made to work independently of ADT's control.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Kind regards, and with thanks for your help...Lordstrepsils.

Sponsored Links
hi yes this can be done quite easy but i would recommend using a local galaxy installer as the control panel will need to be completely reprogrammed and tested should only take an hour or so and a couple of hours to run and fit a bell cable and live bellbox.hope this helps

as above
it can be done, we have just (last friday) done another Aunt Daisy takeover, as the system was installed by Aunt Daisy, but with new people in the building they didn't fancy the ultra high cost of getting them into sort it out.

if you need any advice on what to do and what not to do you can post here and we will try to help you!

yep i do Galaxy, love em!! some engineers don't, but this one does!!
(easy if you know how)

a takeover should only take about an hour, if all parts are working and good, but you WILL need a new battery, and if you have a live external siren, this we would reccomend changing for something that is not yellow with blue/white writing (personal thing this one)

hope this helps

Oasis

Would be good to know for sure if it is a galaxy or xpc

complete reprogram is not required here, access to engineer for starters, switch off remote reset and a tweak to the comms menu, job done.

Sponsored Links
depends whether it is a G2 or XPC or G3
G2 can be code defaulted
but the others will have to be defaulted fully as you cannot default users only!

but you are right on comms etc, including the Aunt Daisy banner message!
and autotest set up, line fail etc etc etc

Oasis

Hello

Thanks so much for your comments so far. I'll have a gander in the understairs cupboard to see if I can identify which of the models you mention it is.

I'm not keen on having an external alarm box - I'd really rather just keep the internal siren. Our neighbours alarms can drive people nutty when they go off when they're on holiday, and, of course, no one does anything about it!

So it sounds like just a reprogram or something similar.

One further question - I live near Ilford, east London - are there any local reputable companies you could recommend?

Kind regards, Lordstrepsils.

depends whether it is a G2 or XPC or G3
G2 can be code defaulted
but the others will have to be defaulted fully as you cannot default users only!

but you are right on comms etc, including the Aunt Daisy banner message!
and autotest set up, line fail etc etc etc

Oasis

Wont be G2/G3 as it was 2002/03, system will be a 8+/16+ or xpc

OP all that is required is turn off the remote reset, delete the arc number and turn off line fail, no need to faff about with autotest and banners.

If its an 8+ or 16+ u can use the call home feature, this will call 2 numbers of your choice. the call home feature will send a pulsed tone for each condition eg intruder - pa - fire

please note that this is not secure signalling and if your line is cut, its as much use as an ashtray on oasis technical's harley davidson

Are you DIYing or getting somone in??

thank you mryoung!!!
that did make me chuckle!!

Oasis

we could sort it out for you its a galaxy, so there is not a problem!
i just hope its not xpc i dont really like them !

lol no bother

its true tho, handy feature but very vulnerable, so really, whats the point. So its only a suggestion OP and not something i or the others would recommend.

Yeah the xpc is a pita, fitted loads back in the hex dealer days, never really liked anything icon and the programming was a mare too.

lordstrepsils, you need an external bellbox

say for example, your alarm goes off when MR burglar breaks in without an external box, people are going to think that the alarm is going off miles away and the wind is carrying the sound.

if it goes of WITH an external box everyone is going to know that MR burglar is breaking in and call police.

lordstrepsils, you need an external bellbox

say for example, your alarm goes off when MR burglar breaks in without an external box, people are going to think that the alarm is going off miles away and the wind is carrying the sound.

Now to argue that point, to a degree.....

Wind can carry sound away, you could live 500 meters away and with a good gust not hear a thing.
Perhaps thats what aunty daisy play on is it?
Strobe is always good if only when activated ( see other arguments).

Sound bombs and instant comms might be better in isolated condi......no what do I know.

Carry on

Thanks for everyone's contributions. I'm glad I posted here as there are some very useful suggestions coming out.

Re the external bell box, by preference is not to have one purely becuase (as has been alluded to earlier) most people ignore them. Also, if we're away when it goes off, I don't want to have a road of angry neighbours knocking on my door when I get back. For me, the alarm is a deterrent, and a piece of mind that I'll be informed if it goes off.

I had a look under the stairs briefly last night - the control box is a white, A4 sized box with no brands on the front, but two screws in the bottom left and right corners. I don't know if that helps you guys identify it?

I didn't have time to take the cover off to see what was inside last night, but will do so soon and post the results here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back