Washing Machine below drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have no room for a washing machine in my kitchen, but there is a cellar below the kitchen. The only problem is, with the cellar being underground, the only place for the water to drain would be the kitchen upstairs.
Is this possible? Would I need some sort of pump or something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
depends on m/c most can pump large quantities but not always that high.

you could always connect it to a saniflow

are you sure there is no drain in the basment? or at least one with easy access

No, there's no drainage at all. It's not a proper basement, it's the old coal cellar.

What's a saniflow?

flywheel said:
What's a saniflow?

you don't watch tv much then (they have been advertising a lot)

a saniflo is a brand name of a macerator, just what you want, would you believe their web site is www.saniflo.co.uk
other brands of macerator are avialble (but dont use it for its other use, to find out why try a serch on these forums for macerator)

Sponsored Links
if your gonna have a large amount of water, get a water tank (maybe half a 205L drum?). put the water outlet into this, and get a cheap pump with float swicth. sorted.

in theory you can, but as you said it will need to be big, and have a lid on it, also sump pumps only pump down to a certain level, so if not used much the water will stagnate and smell, hence the lid

a saniflow i suppose is basically as you said (but with a shreder in it) but it is sealed tightly shut

breezer said:
in theory you can, but as you said it will need to be big, and have a lid on it, also sump pumps only pump down to a certain level, so if not used much the water will stagnate and smell, hence the lid

a saniflow i suppose is basically as you said (but with a shreder in it) but it is sealed tightly shut

i never actually thought of the smell...

Sorry, should have Googled it before I asked :oops:

The Saniflow seems to be exactly what I want, just need to work out if I can justify nearly £300 over dragging my ass to the laundrette once a week

flywheel said:
Sorry, should have Googled it before I asked :oops:

The Saniflow seems to be exactly what I want, just need to work out if I can justify nearly £300 over dragging my ass to the laundrette once a week

either that, or put the washer in a shed, immediatly next to the house? seen it done a few times before...

use the tank idea and by a cheap proline submerable pump from b&q. i use one to pump 200 gallons of sea water from my van into my aquarium
it will drain down to 10 mm with a pump height of seven metres. it cost me £24. the one with a float switch on is about £35. if you're near any farms, they always have barrels to get rid of. jst make sure that you know what was in them is safe

the problem with the tank idea is smell, which is what i said in a previous post, but you seem to have not bothered to read it, or you did and chose to ignore it. The tank must be sealed to prevent the stagnating water from smelling, (well stop the smell getting out) but if the tank is sealed the pump wont work properly (unless you run a pipe for air to outside)

probably wont work in this situation but worth considering

if the basement is part above ground would it not be possible to elevate the machine to about 3ft off the floor thus allowing the normal machine pump to work normaly via a sutable pipe into an outside drain!!!!!!!

as i say a long shot but worth mentioning

no need to be sarcastic mr breezer, of course i read your post. do you really think that one centimetre of water from a washer which has just rinsed through gallons of fresh cold water is going to smell?
feel free to get the guy to spend a relative fortune on a saniflow.

keithwasherman said:
no need to be sarcastic mr breezer, of course i read your post. do you really think that one centimetre of water from a washer which has just rinsed through gallons of fresh cold water is going to smell?
feel free to get the guy to spend a relative fortune on a saniflow.

i wasnt being sarcastic, i was being practical. if you are a repair person, you should know better.

how often have people complained of a smell being left in m/c only for you to find out door is being shut inbetween uses

Yes umpteen gallons of clean water will go into the tank (after rinse cycle) but you seem to have forgotten gravity, assuming a sump pump with float switch is used (i have no problem with that) that means tank will fill to a certain height before float switch activates, that means that it will be some time before pump activates, this time allows the heavier objects to setlle towards the bottom, (also some "scum" may cling to the pump and or tank, (there by giving a starting point for more to acumilate) more clean water comes in, pump starts, not all the "really dirty water" will be pumped out, since the clean water can only dilute it, (since there is a lot of "dirty water" sitting on the floor of tank you need more clean water than is available to clean this out)

The process is repeated several times / wash) this "not clean water" is full of bugs and things that then start to eat the bits in the water, giving off gas, which we call a "smell"

my point being that to clean the tank out 100% you need to thouroughly manually clean it, (or a lot of clean water) now we know no one will ever do this, so over time the barrel / tank will smell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back