Making connections in a phone cable

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello

Due to some poor planning, I need to insert about two metres of cable into an existing cable in my renovation. This cable is in an internal stud-wall.

I have searched on the forum and e-bay for connectors but can only find reference to external connections.

Is it technically acceptable if I solder the wires ?

If so I would then tape the joins to insulate them and put some heat-shrink tubing over them to hold the lot together .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are extending the white (or cream ) internal wiring tour side of the master socket or NTE 5

Soldering might work but some wires in CW1308 telephone will not solder reliably due to the coating which is designed to work with IDC connections.

Either replace the whole length or use junction boxes such as the BT77A

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2648109&cm_vc=av_uk

or from

http://www.bttorj45.com/shop/36/bt_junction_boxes/

There are other suppliers.

Thanks for the reply , Bernard.

Can you tell me if this coating is visible on the wires or you only know when the solder doesn't take ?

I had hoped there would be a connector rather than a jb for my problem.

Some time back when I had a line problem, a France Telecom engineer spliced the cable using small plastic "teardrops" , possibly filled with some kind of gel into which he inserted the two ends to be joined. I wanted to attach a photo but camera temporarily not working.

M, i had a similar problem in my old house, but it was me that cut the wire short. I tried as you said soldering the wire to give me the extra lenght but it just wouldn't hold. The one wire that I did manage to solder snaped off after a bit of handling. . I too would suggest using a small junction box which is what I did. It did mean cutting a bit of the wall out and plastering over the junction box.

Sponsored Links
telephone jelly crimps on ebay - several sellers, about £2 for 10 2-wire, you can also get 3-wire for a t-joint.

Thanks for the lead about the jellies Owain.

Can anyone give me a satisfactory method of crimping the wires in these jellies without buying the special pliers ?

I obviously don't want to spend GBP 10 for a tool that is used only twice, but I am also trying to reduce - not increase - the number of tools in my work-shop !

Thanks for the lead about the jellies Owain.

Can anyone give me a satisfactory method of crimping the wires in these jellies without buying the special pliers ?

I obviously don't want to spend GBP 10 for a tool that is used only twice, but I am also trying to reduce - not increase - the number of tools in my work-shop !

Ordinary pliers or place on flat surface and tap gently with hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back