super old alarm wiring stuck in my windowsill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not very knowledgeable about electrical stuff (the most I have done is change out a light fixture), so apologies if I seem a bit paranoid.

I have two non-functioning alarm systems in my house. Both have magnetic sensors on my kitchen bay window, and I decided I was tired of looking at them as the plastic is getting yellow and in general they are ugly. The sensors for the newer one were easy to remove as they were wireless transmitters, it's just a matter of removing the adhesive now.

The problem is with the even older alarm system, which must be over 15 years old judging by the ochre color of the plastic housings. This system used wires strung through the house. I removed all the plastic parts but there are three sets of wires sticking up through (presumably puttied-in) my wooden window sill.

Is it ok to just cut these wires off flush to the window sill and cover it up with a bit of putty? Is there any reason I would need to worry about this wiring being dangerous?

Sponsored Links
if the alarm system is completyely dead (IE powered down) there should be no problem in removing ALL of the cabling.

if you are going to remove the control panel, be careful as it still might be connected tot he electrical supply!!

if so

ISOLATE AND REMOVE THE CABLING CAREFULLY FROM THE FUSED SPUR!

Oasis

There might also be a back up battery in the control panel and that might still have some charge left in it if the panel has had mains power with in the past year or so. If there is any charge in the battery then when the wire is cut the battery fuse would (should) have blown.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

There is only one box, associated with the newer alarm (which I myself cut the wires to 4 years ago in a moment of desperation as the damn siren would not go off).

I have to think the other wires have been dead even longer. So I'll be cutting 'em off today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back