Binoculars..

I

imamartian

anyone recommend a good pair of binocs? don't mind zoom as long as it works... oh and don't want to spend hundreds !!

Ta.

Sponsored Links
What do want them for?

Small compact pair easy to carry around with you but only at their best in broad daylight, or great big tripod mounting ones with big objective lenses for low light conditions?

erm, don't want them for spotting France, or the belts of Saturn, but probably birdspotting, and general nature spotting during Peak District treks.... i want the focus to be sharp, and responsive.

Sponsored Links
I've got a pair of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunagor-15-...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306766825&sr=8-6

Very compact and easy to carry, small enough to have them on my belt when I'm out walking - there's no point having your binoculars in your rucksack when you want to get at them in a hurry or without scaring off the wildlife!

Good performance handheld at lower zoom levels, but pretty much anything is going to need a tripod to hold it steady once you get up to the top end of a 70x zoom.

Good light gathering properties at all zoom levels in full daylight - but not so great once it starts to go dusk due to the small objective lenses on compacts.

I've had mine 10 years now and been very happy with them. I've borrowed cheaper ones from other people on occasion and reckon that when it comes to the performance of lenses you definitely get what you pay for.

10x50 is the generic size of binoculars..Ok for trainspotting...some good specs can be had at charity shop, with better specs.

I have pair of Swift 8 x 40 bins., bought 1981 for about £30 new, still in one piece, good to use, and I would presume their newer and higher-spec. range must be much better. For my 'anorak pocket', I have 12 x 32 pair from discount store Aldi, cost £5.99, impressive for the price, but not good in poor light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back