Loft ariel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AT my old house I had the ariel in the loft working an analogue tv.At my new house I have now got a digital tv, and the ariel is fitted on the gable of the house. Would the digital tv still work if I moved the ariel into the loft. the reason to do this is because the flying pests are using it to roost, and underneath is a right mess.

Sponsored Links
That's a "how long is a piece of string" question.

Some of the variables include:
  • signal strength in your location
    line of sight to your local transmitter(S) i.e. what else is in the way after losing a chunk of signal strength because of the wall or roof tiles (which affects signal strength)
    aerial quality
    your ability to align the aerial
    the weather (yes, really. Roof tiles sap more signal strength when wet)
    cable quality

The thing about reception for digital TV is there's very little margin for error. With analogue the signal got more snowy the worse the reception, but at least the picture stayed. With digital it's more a case of good enough or gone.

A quick solution is to see if you can spot any houses without an obvious TV aerial and ask if theirs is in the loft. Then ask if they installed it DIY or had it done by a pro who used a proper TV aerial signal meter. It makes a big difference. On mine I can see signal strength on the main muxes used for the digital channel groups and I can compare the signal from several transmitters. The reason for that is line of sight is really important. Hope this is of some small help :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back