What would be the rough cost..........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...........of having a digital Ariel install on my roof

only guessing the current one will not suffice and to be on safer side much rather buy a new nifty one

How many TV's can 1 Ariel feed?

If I went down the route of all FREEVIEW in my house I would need 3 feeds for upstairs and eventually 2 for downstairs

Any info please very limited knowledge in this area as iv'e always had Virgin

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you want an Ariel on your roof?

Ariel_mermaid.jpg

It partly depends on your house and how easy it is access the roof.

I've seen quotes as high as £400, but for a standard terrace/semi/or detached with a chimney stack then I'd quote £160 for a basic supply & fit. That would be with a really good quality aerial, 6ft pole, stack kit, and a single drop line to one TV. The alignment would be metered (best signal quality) and include travel to Liverpool Rocket. I'm also insured to £1million.

It could be done cheaper with a poorer quality aerial (save £15, but replace in 3-5 yrs rather than 10-20yrs depending on our avian friends) but I'd see that as a false economy. Or by using a cheap 6" wall bracket (save £10), but again that's a false economy because they tend to twist with wind loading so you end up with a bad/no signal within a couple of years.

You could take pot luck with a £100 cowboy's unmetered install. The 'tin foil' aerials used don't produce a much signal as the better aerials, and they have a tendency to fall to bits within 3-5 years. Your boy will point the aerial in the same direction as the neighbours hoping that they are right and then use the telly as a signal level guide... :LOL: Oh dear :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

5 drops is possible. You'll need a masthead amp for that and the alignment & signal quality off the aerial will be really important to get right.

The right sort of masthead amp will be around £50 installed, and then you need the various cable drops bringing down, clipping and routing in to the house. Cable is 40p/m + time to run the drops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back