Worcester Bosch Greenstar 35i Boiler making jet noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone might be able to offer a suggestion as to what the problem is with my condensing combi-boiler.

The boiler is nearly 2 years old and approximately 9 months after it was installed it started making a noise when a hot tap was turned on. The noise only lasted for a couple of seconds before stopping and was only really a slight annoyance so we just left it.

From then until now though, the noise has increased in loudness and also length of time it lasts for. So much so that we can't turn on a hot tap at night, otherwise it would wake the whole house. It's a hard noise to describe, but it sounds kinda like a plane taking off. No gurgling, just a whooshy noise.

It never happens when the rads heat up, only when a hot tap is turned on.

The green pressure gauge on the front of the boiler shows the needle is in the right area.

I'll need to get someone out, but I don't want to be ripped off just because I'm female and it looks like I don't know anything about boilers. (Which I obviously don't, lol.) Be grateful if anyone has any ideas?

TIA. :D

Sponsored Links
Call the manufacturers service department if you believe the noise is from the boiler and not the pipe work.

It may still be under warranty.

Thanks for reply. The boiler does have a 2 year warranty, but was never serviced after the first year so I think that invalidates the warranty?

That's why I was a little concerned at what the problem might be as I expect I'll need to pay for it and I can't afford to to take the risk that a tradesman could tell me allsorts and I'd be none the wiser, if you know what I mean.

I'm happy to pay for a good job done, I'm just really worried about getting conned. It wouldn't be the first time.

How can they tell on a greenstar?, just tell em it has. It probably just needs an adjustment to the air / gas mixture but this can only be done with professional equipment.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
How can they tell on a greenstar?, just tell em it has. It probably just needs an adjustment to the air / gas mixture but this can only be done with professional equipment.

I was assuming I'd have to have had some sort of stamp like on a car service book to confirm or an invoice or something as proof?

Bit scared to tell them it's been serviced if I get backed into a corner and I look daft when I can't produce proof. What if they asked me the name of the company that serviced it? :confused:

if they dont ask keep stuhm
pretend your one of the wise monkeys
if all else fails use old faithfull "dont know my hubby sort's that sort of thing out" ;)

If it's making a hooting noise it'll be the CO2 levels that need setting up. Call up Worcester. Tell them you've had it serviced by others and take it from there. They can only say sod off!

By the way if you have to pay for a Worcester service it's 98.00 and a breakdown is 175.00. CO2 should be checked on a service...see where I'm coming from?

Thanks again everyone. See your point about the service Jim :D

And in case a MOD is reading this.......apologies for resurrecting an old thread yesterday. I skim read the regs and missed that one. :oops:

As said the greenstar needs the corect co2 settings and if out the boiler can Hoot. Dont wory about the service just call Worcester the service eng wont be too botherd about no proof of service but if its been noisy since new then you poss have low gas inlet pressure you require at least 17mb working at max to get the co2 ok.

aliasojo said:
I hope someone might be able to offer a suggestion as to what the problem is with my condensing combi-boiler.

The boiler is nearly 2 years old and approximately 9 months after it was installed it started making a noise when a hot tap was turned on. The noise only lasted for a couple of seconds before stopping and was only really a slight annoyance so we just left it.

From then until now though, the noise has increased in loudness and also length of time it lasts for. So much so that we can't turn on a hot tap at night, otherwise it would wake the whole house. It's a hard noise to describe, but it sounds kinda like a plane taking off. No gurgling, just a whooshy noise.

It never happens when the rads heat up, only when a hot tap is turned on.

The green pressure gauge on the front of the boiler shows the needle is in the right area.

I'll need to get someone out, but I don't want to be ripped off just because I'm female and it looks like I don't know anything about boilers. (Which I obviously don't, lol.) Be grateful if anyone has any ideas?

TIA. :D

We had the same problem with the 35 HE+ (probably the same boiler). Phoned W-B, an engineer was there the next day. He set the CO2 levels to the correct settings and we have not had the noise since - about 6 weeks now. There was no charge for the work or parts as was within the warranty period. Phone them before the 24 months expire.

Hi guys bit new to this so sorry to jump in on a forum but having similar probs with greenstar oil combi. Started not doing the hot water and pump making loud whining noise. Been told prob diverter valve but not sure.

You have added to a seven year old thread about a different boiler model.

Start your own thread and we will ask you all the usual about how do you expect it to work when you dont have it regularly serviced.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back