Which wireless alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All

Looking to install a wireless alarm on my 3 bedroom house. Not after anything fancy, just something that will make a noise and provide a bit of a deterrent. Something not to difficlut to install would also be a bonus. Looking at a budget of £200/£250.

Problem is, which make to buy? Been searching various sites in the internet looking at the likes of ESP Infinite, Visonic, Response and Yale and the opinions vary so can anyone give any first hand opinions as to a decent make?

Thanks in advance for any help

ATB

BP

Sponsored Links
Agreed, Visonic would be the professionals choice of the four listed.
Thought about scantronic i-on.

Thanks for your advice Gents

Been trawling through the internet and i have decided to go for the Visonic powermax+ system. Would this be classed as a system that could be DIY installed? I am a plant and machinery eng by trade so i feel i should be able to handle it (in saying that thou i would have prefered a wired system but wouldn't know where to start hence its wireless for me)

ATB

BP

Sponsored Links
Good choice!
Classed as pro gear really, but you should be sound, have a good read of everything so its clear in your mind.

Any bother or questions, ask away, one boy on here has good knowledge of them.

The system comes preprogrammed. Very little needs to be done unless you add more detectors and connect it to a phone. However it is pretty straight forward.
Check a couple of supliers, there can be a saving at times from others.

Thanks again for your help and reassurance that installing isn't too much trouble. Should have just come straight on here for advice.

I was thinking of adding an addditional door contact to the system to cover a conservatory door but i will probably just leave it as it is to start with, get it set up and running and then add the extra contact at a later date. Don't want to confuse matters right form the off. As you can tell, this is the first time i have tried an alarm install.

ATB

BP

Thanks for the links, i will have a good look through later and find the best package to suit.

One last question before a go ahead and click 'buy', how do you go about fitting the door contacts to a UPVC style door when the frame is set back from the door edge? Do the contacts work over the the distance or do you need to pack the contact up off the frame so both halves line up? Probably a daft question i know but it may alter my decision on how to protect the conservatory doors.

thanks and ATB

Chris

They have a nominal operating distance. But packing out helps, they come with little packers. Generally thats all you need, but I would fit them higher than lower, as have seen them kicked off when packed out.
Or pop a PIR in the room.

Cheers, i will have a look at all of the packages later on tonight (the joy of nightshift) and see what the PIR/door contact split is like in each.

After what you said earlier about the system coming pre-programmed, i am keen to get the kit that will cover the houise straight out of the box rather than trying to add extras

Thanks once again for you help and quick reply

Chris

Evening Gents

Had pretty much made my mind up as to what system to get when i noticed a line on the Visonic website that says their technical helplines will only assist professional installers and not DIY. I feel that at some point, i will need the helpline so this is bothering me now. I know its not easy to answer but how likely do you think me needing the helpline will be?

Am beginning to think i should just cut my losses and get a pro in to sort this out. Anybody know of any decent firms in the Birmingham area that i could try for a pretty standard audible only alarm? Also a rough idea of the costs involved? Happy to go wired or wireless if a pro is doing the job.

Cheers
and ATB

Chris

It is really easy to use I would not worry.

If your going the pro way look up NSI and or SSAIB websites for good companies.

I will take your word for it :) . I would still like to do the job myself as i enjoy a challange and learning something new so i will prob bite the bullet and order one. Just don't want to waste £300 on something i can't get working.

It would be good to just step back and not have the worry but i don't honestly think our funds will stretch to a pro install, we haven't been in this house long and its already cost a fortune to do the work we have.

Thanks for your help, reassurance and patience on this one.

ATB

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back