Moving gas meter without altering Transco pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move my gas meter box by couple of meters to the left so its out of way. At the moment the Transco pipe (plastic inside steel tube) comes out of the ground on the external wall with meter stuck on the end of it. I am not fussed about pipe position as its not that big but I want the meter elsewhere tucked out of way.

What I'd like to do is have a cable or copper pipe at the end of Transco pipe extending to the position where I want the meter. The meter can then be attached on the other end of the pipe. I don't think they recomend using copper on the mains side and the tracpipe we curently have is only a short one. I am then wondering if I can get a longer tracpipe and use that. Is this possible? Plumber doesn't seem to think it is.

Sponsored Links
Needs to be done by a gas reg person ( RGI )

All pipework on inlet to meter has to be done by supplier nominated contractor at considerable cost.

Its debatable, but a very few RGIs would do it and keep the existing valve and extend the pipe to a new meter position with copper pipe ( and usually a second valve at the meter ).

Internal pipework is usually in screwed steel before the meter but I dont think there is any regulation that says it HAS to be in steel but just normal practice.

Tony

Agile, I don't want to move the transco pipe. I just want to extend so that meter can be moved elsewehere - the pipe can stay exactly where it is.

Just been chatting to NG who told me to extend the pipe and move the meter can be done by any gas engineer who has MAT1 qualification. I then spoke to Gas Safe Register who told me its actually called MET1 but anyone who has it can extend the Transco gas pipe and therefore move the meter.

My plumber has the qualificiation according to the register so I am confused why is he telling me he doesn't know how to do it / is not possible. Am I getting some conflicting information here or possibly he doesn't want to do it? I don't want to get on his case about it but at the same time if it is possible that it can be done then I'd like to move it.

Oh dear!

He is qualified to extend it but he knows that pipework before the meter belongs to the gas supplier/transporter.

I am qualified to drive cars but that does not give me a legal right to drive your car and park it round the block from your house!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Taking your analogy further.

You call me and say can I drive your car and park it round the block. I ask if you are qualified and on answering you are, I say yes you can do that. You jump in my car and drive off. I call the police to report theft. You see, I never gave you permission to drive my car, I just said that you are capable of driving it.

As I said, I have already called Transco/National Grid (spoke to two separate people who told me that any plumber with correct qualification can extend the pipe to the meter but is not allowed to move it.

All in good humour :mrgreen:

i got met1 that allows me to remove replace meters and secondary meter not to tamper with gas transporters gas pipe to my knowedge

My met1 has now expired but as I understand it, a RGI with met1 CAN extend service pipework in order to relocate meter. Would normally be done in copper with an secondary Emergency Control Valve fitted just before meter like the existing one is now. I would attach a notice at the new meter position advising of the existence / location of primary ECV.

As I said, I have already called Transco/National Grid (spoke to two separate people who told me that any plumber with correct qualification can extend the pipe to the meter but is not allowed to move it.

All in good humour :mrgreen:

Its not that simple!

In the past all pipework belonged to British Gas.

They split themselves into British Gas and Transco ( who operated the pipework ).

Then anyone could supply the gas and EON for example own the meter which is fitted by ( now ) National Grid ( Transco ) or any of several different contractors on to pipework which MIGHT still be owned ( in theory ) by National Grid ( Transco ).

British Gas engineers still mostly say they are from the Gas Board!

So the reality is that if the pipework is correctly extended then no one is likely to object but someone still might.

I would say to look more convincing it would need to be in screwed steel which not many plumbers are set up to do.

Tony

The pipe from the road, and the valve on the end of it, don't belong to you. (Nor does the meter of course). You can't move it or extend it, neither can anyone other than the gas network provider. MET1 doesn't apply.
The only moving you can do is of the meter itself, within the constraints of the flexible pipe it's connected to the valve with ( which is NOT Tracpipe).

If you want any more than that, you'll have to contact the gas provider . Start with the people you pay your gas bill to, relarionships seem to vary round the country.

Expect them to say
1) NO
2) Ok Then, for £1500
or something equally helpful.

having the contractors out next week to extend a 62mm main into the driveway of a property, construct a concrete base and then fit a u16 and cover. £6425

I'm having to go on a course to enable me to work on the large mdpe for domestic up to 1m3 installation plus purging. 3 day course £650!

The pipe from the road, and the valve on the end of it, don't belong to you. (Nor does the meter of course). You can't move it or extend it, neither can anyone other than the gas network provider. MET1 doesn't apply.
The only moving you can do is of the meter itself, within the constraints of the flexible pipe it's connected to the valve with ( which is NOT Tracpipe).

I largely agree with you, however, its not that clearcut if someone wants to extend it from AFTER the ECV with screwed steel ( or perhaps copper ) and then installs a new second ECV at the revised meter position.

Tony

is there any difference between the service pipe after the ECV being inside or out? i have moved tons of internal meters, obviously the ECV stays where it is, but there are 3 fittings available from BES that i purchase to go onto the ECV to convert to copper, then at the new position 2 fittings join together to go from the copper back to the anaconda, as long as an AECV and the right labels are fitted all is well, have had transco check them via the local authority and they were happy as long as the pipe was properly clipped and the anaconda secured where it joined the copper, usually used screwed rod and clip as the height/position was never usually straight forward

Thats a dangerous admission there Kirk! ( You admit to doing what I said was a grey area )

You have crossed with Chris R !

One assessor against another assessor!

Crossed Stilsons at dawn?

Much prefer running service pipe in screwed steel as opposed to copper , force of habit more than anything else though , normally ECV gets moved to new meter position , how it's done is a different matter. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back