porcelain tile drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any expert/professional tilers here who can advise what make of porcelain drill bit I can buy that wont blunt after 3 holes drilled into solid porcelain tiles? I used the fancy water drip device and didnt drill dry. First bit was £7 from Homebase so I wasnt surprised when it blunted after one hole. Second one was on offer from £19.95 to £9.95, DeWalt from Screwfix online and I was disappointed that it blunted after 2 holes drilled. Any advice gratefully received as dont want to waste more money. Drill bits cost more than the towel rail and toilet roll holder !

Will

Sponsored Links
both Marchrist and Rubi are good, but they're both pretty pricey. That's the problem with trying to get through porcelain...

K

i find both marcrist and tile right do a wax filled hole cutter, no water required just a drill that has an rpm of thousands, like the old cheap bosch one of the 1980s, start the drill on as fast as possible, hold it at about a 45 degree angle, offer it up to the tile and make the start of your hole, after a few seconds you can straighten up your drill while all the time having the drill on full speed, dont be tempted to stop to have a look as this will stop the wax inside the drill bit working fully.
tile shop say you can get 40 to 50 holes out of one bit, but in reality i only ever get 10 to 15 max
The tile right one is about £20-£25 the marcrist one is about £50, but does do a few more

This is why tilers need to know at the quotation point of a job, if there are gonna be any holes to be drilled, it can cost loads for the tiler, and we hate it when it is just slipped in by the customer as your just about to drive away from the job :evil:

drill 365..think you will see their advert on this site,just click on it.

Sponsored Links
i use normal glass and tile drill bits.

start smaller than you need, keep the bit cool by dipping it in water, but the bit wont cut wet.

wibble it about a bit with hard pressure and slowish speed, you will hear it cutting.

Thanks to you all. I think I was pressing too hard - bought the same DeWalt one and was more gentle, still using water dripping slowly from above. 3 more hole done and bit intact. About to do new kitchen and 2 new bathrooms, so all your advice may well come in handy ! Thanks to you all !

Richon tools

365 Drills or whatever they are called are much more expensive.

Import them directly from Honk Kong yourself via Richon, i have been using them for years.

http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

All currency is in USD but don't worry you can still buy no problem.

Look at the mark up of 365 drills
:LOL:
http://www.365drills.com/

Disgusting prices especially as Diamond coated hole saws aren't too far away from being disposable items.

I remember a few years back the guy from 365 tried selling stuff on a Forum i frequented, I noticed he had some Diamond grinding discs on his site. I recognised them as they were the same ones I bought from Lidl weeks before. Great company!

i use normal glass and tile drill bits.

start smaller than you need, keep the bit cool by dipping it in water, but the bit wont cut wet.

wibble it about a bit with hard pressure and slowish speed, you will hear it cutting.

Proper solid Porcelain cannot be touched by the El cheopo spear shaped tile and glass bits, even if you start small and water cool, you would need 4 bits per hole.

Even the marcrist Spear type which cost about £20 a pop struggle with good porc, in fact so do the Armeg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back