LAN connection to Samsung series 6 LED TV - help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Trying to connect TV to my sky (sagem) router.

1. Connected LAN CAT 5 cable between router and TV
2. Followed auto network setup procedure
3. Network test returns four ticks (everything ok!!)

Then what???? Instructions are crap and can't work out how I actually access my Internet!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
There aren't many TVs that have a full web browser - yours might be one of the exceptions, I don't know - but usually the network connection is for streaming something from your PC's hard drive or it's for watching YouTube etc. If you are trying to load internet explorer or some other web browser then you'll be disappointed.

Have another read of your instructions. See if it talks about things like YouTube, or streaming from a DNLA server which is a fancy way of saying your PC with some extra functionality to make this sort of thing easier.

According to the Samsung website:

To access Samsung Internet@TV on your new Samsung TV, all you need to do is connect it up to your router via an internet cable, press the Samsung Internet@TV button on your remote to load up the homepage, and you’re ready to go. You’ll even have special access to Samsung Apps, giving you more content on your TV than ever before. Open up your living room to the potential of the internet, with Samsung Internet@TV.

I've followed the network connection diagram (see original post), etc but can't find the magic button!!!!

Only one reference to the button in the manual - says it's one of the four colored buttons but none of them seem to do anything?!?! The infrared light on the tv flickers to acknowledge i'm pressing the button but nothing else happens.

The answer could be as simple as my model hasn't got the Internet@tv function - doh!!!!

My model is the c6000 - looks like I need a c6500 or better.

Confused why I can connect my tv to my wireless then - seems pointless if I still need to connect a pc (which has wi-fi)!?!?

Sponsored Links
It could be a feature in the 6XXX chassis that isn't yet enabled on your model. If your TV conforms to the latest standards for Freeview HD fully, then the LAN port is likely to be for BBC Iplayer in future. I believe though that each manufacturer has to submit their models to the BBC for testing before it gets approval and the service goes live on their TVs/PVRs.

You can probably connect it up to your wireless / wired network because the TV is DNLA compliant. (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1273593474)

Basically it means you can have media (pics/films/music) stored on a network resource and if your sharing this media say with Twonky/Windows 7 etc you can stream in to your TV.

See also http://skp.samsungcsportal.com/integrated/popup/HtgDetailGuide.jsp?cdsite=uk&seq=7334

There are a few How to guides here they may help
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/d...rd_mdl_cd=UE40C6000RKXXU&srchword=UE40C6000RK

With your TV on a BBC program, do you have access to BBC iPlayer on the 'red button' menu? This may be all you will be able to stream.

With my Sony Blu-ray player I found my Maxtor LAN hard drive had all the bits built in to allow me to watch films stored on my hard drive. However the Freecom LAN hard drive did not have the built in software required.

The new Lap Top with Vista installed showed up and I could view all films. But the old desk top with XP needed Serviio to be installed first to be able to watch films.

BBC iplayer and Channel 5 work well through the LAN but for some reason when I first switched it on everything worked automatic. However once it had up-dated it's self, the auto bit seemed to fail, and I had to set up the LAN addresses manually. Lucky years ago I was taught Cisco systems and could remember enough to get it set up. However I would think a non trained guy would struggle to set it up.

I realise your TV may be different to my blu-ray player but although I can watch some internet content including U-tube and special Sony site it is limited and one can't watch catch-up TV and not really into Love Films.

But watching stuff from hard drive on the large screen is far better than sitting on top of the PC monitor. Some day I may even watch a blu-ray disc!

I agree - the more I look at the Internet tv, the more I think it is too limited (I hardly use YouTube, etc!!)

Watching things via USB is a big must for me. Currently using a flash drive but looking at an hard-drive. Appreciate your comment about different hard-drives - will bear that it mind.

I opted to just buy the tv at the moment. Can't decide whether blu-ray is heading anywhere (other than the scrap heap). The discs are over priced and surely the future involves streaming, etc(??)

Blu-ray is here to stay. Live streaming/VOD isn't fast enough for HD at 1080p with multichannel sound. If any format is under threat from VOD it's more likely to be DVD. What is certain though is that BD won't replace DVD any time soon. There's not enough penetration in the "I don't care about quality" market where low price is king and file sharing is rife.

Looking back, DVD disc prices were more expensive than BD at the same point in its life cycle; and if you look at current retail prices on new releases in supermarkets there's not much of a difference between BD and DVD - a couple of pounds in a lot of cases. Where the big gap opens up is in online pricing as a release ages. Then again, online BD prices are quite a bit lower than the regular retail channels too, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Hi Reubin i own a C6510 which is DNLA compliant along with 'internet' TV etc.
Why o why o why noone has cracked the market with a simple browser and make the remote double up as a magic wand pointer device ill never fking know, most probably same reason Apple for example wont allow flash on their iphones?!?!

Anyway best use for mine is playback of films, download them (legtimately of course!) via my download manager onto my Qnap device which is shared via Twonky on my network.
Tv connects to media share with Twonky and i have all my films. Also pretty good as iplayer, but then not as good as iplayer on PC, being able to fast forward, rewind works but can be unstable on a 1hr+ viewing. Overall though a fantastic tv.

Have you sorted it out now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back