Where's my Dial Tone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to wire my Galaxy G2 up for SMS alerts (no matter how unreliable it may be), but I'm struggling to find the wire's carrying dial tone in my maze of cables!

The BT drop cable comes into my house and hits an NTE5. The ADSL port of the NTE5 goes directly to my router. No problems there. The phone side of the NTE however, goes to RJ11 and into my structured system (T568B).

Instantly I can rule out cables 1 & 8 on my structured run, as the RJ11 only has 6 cables, and when the RJ11 is installed directly into an RJ45 socket, 1 & 8 aren't used.

I then read that in an RJ11 wires;

1) N/A -> No connection
2) Blue with White Bands -> Speech and Ringing (Sometimes referred to as B)
3) Orange with White Bands -> Ringing
4) White with Orange Bands -> Not used but usually connected for neatness
5) White with Blue Bands -> Speech and Ringing (Sometimes referred to as A)
6) N/A -> No connection

If the above is true, and given that the RJ11 is going into RJ45, I concluded that wires 1,2,7,8 on my structured are now doing nothing with regards to my phones.

With those two 'equations' I figured I'm after 2 & 5 on the RJ11, which would translate to wires 3 (Green) and 6 (Green & White) in my structure.

The Galaxy G2 is asking for Line In A & B. So I've tried with Green in A and Green & White in B. But it's not working. The Alarm has what I believe to be a loop through, which is how I tested to see if it was working. Running A & B out to the phone again (no dial tone).

Am I missing something blatantly obvious? Is there any easier way to find my dial tone?

What is the phone socket for in the Galaxy G2 panel?

Sponsored Links
Remove the small front plate of the NTE5, and see what wires are connected to IDC terminals 2 and 5 there. It's usually (but not always) the blue / white pair.

8 way RJ45 jacks usually present telephony on pins 4 & 5, that's usually the blue / white pair of the cabling.

The 'RJ11' pinouts you have listed look more like standard BT socket connections than RJ11 wiring.

RJ11 / RJ45 pinouts frequently refers to 'Tip' and 'Ring' connections for telephony. That's the American equivalent of the 'A' and 'B' connections usually referred to this side of the pond.

Well, it's not 3 & 6, so can only be 4 & 5 realistically.

I guess it could be a combination of or reversed. I will play :)

Cheers,
Vini

best way, get a multi meter set on dc, look for 50v across the 6 pins. thats the the pair you need.

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure how dangerous that was, but, turns out;

Blue & White was my A
Blue was my B

photovry.png

:mrgreen:

To find you line amongst many wire I lick my finger and put each pair in turn on it, when you get a fizz from the short across the liquid you know you have a working pair.

Or you may even have the B side from one pair and a wire which is connected to a local earth.

Sorry to confuse you I was talking about individual pairs to check if you have a working line. If you have a six pair cable and one line you know is working (or may be working) in amongst them but don’t know the colour then this is easier than getting your meter out. I use to do this all the time when I was in the trade, incoming drop wire is the line on green black or orange white lick your finger and see, easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back