Whats the point of an alarm....really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well his mother must love him.

As for the rest of us, getting pretty bored of his wandering around the boards making sweeping statements he cannot back up in any subject he decides to latch onto at the time.

Sponsored Links
spacecat";p="2035113 said:
I do wonder What is the POINT of having an alarm?

My reason is when I used to do night shiftwork, I didn't like the thought of my wife with 2 young boys without an alarm, I have a vibra-sensor type alarm which will set off the alarm before anyone can enter the property giving my wife time too ring the police, I'm not bothered about if they pinch anything just the thought if they attack my wife and children's, a piece of mind when I'm away from home, since then I have upgrade to 9 cctv's 24hrs recording, never has any break in or maybe I'm lucky or could be the fact it's too much hassles for the burglar? I would've thought the alarm system is better than nothing? I think you have to ask the question if you would break into the property with the alarm system or without, I know what the answer for me is!

Most of what you have posted is based on fear, not reality
you're entitled to your opinion but I will disagree, it is a piece of mind for us and surely a good alarm is better than nothing?

A good dummy box would probably have offered you as much protection for little expense
If I banged the window and no alarm going off with a dummy box then your argument is weak

This myth of unknown people breaking in and attacking families is so unlikely as to be statistically irrelevant
It's too risky of druggies funding their habit and they are on a high not knowing what they are doing

Btw if a psycho turns up who wants to kill them they are not going to stop to think about your alarm system.

Like I says you have a better chance when the alarm is going off to wake you up before they can enter the property

I really would not bother trying to answer Spacecat. Whatever you say is either ignored or twisted.
Dependant on his mood, and booze levels.

However a little bite for the pussy.
Stats for individual companies are for false alarms for monitored systems and if under maintenance bells only.
We hold our own stats for wired to wireless individually, for our information only. To make business decisions, for the better of the end users. Hence many wired and wireless systems are rejected by many companies due to the requirements needed installation to installation.
Hence a few do not use wireless.
Our stats also look on our response times to attend a "call out", a maintenance visit, all done within strict time limits.
Then we have our internal ones to deal with, training. Product knowledge and refreshing courses/ new qualifications.
Design and production of bespoke systems for, you getting the idea yet Spacker?

You rant on all you like, you have seen a few unbiased individuals give their reasons for wanting professional systems fitted. None seem to have been under any pressure from this industry.

Again you have a "bee in your bonnet" as you have obviously been let down at some stage by somebody in this industry.
Care to let us know, so we can advise you what may have been done instead?
Are you brave enough to do this?

Sponsored Links
if I'm on ignore wtf do your regular stalking victims get!

you fail to answer the ONLY question I have actually asked and repeat the same old b""""""x over and over

I want to see some VERIFIABLE independent stats that a wired so called pro alarm actually prevents more break ins than a wireless one or a dummy box

Thats it, NOTHING ELSE!

If you cannot supply that evidence dont post

I want to see some VERIFIABLE independent stats that a wired so called pro alarm actually prevents more break ins than a wireless one or a dummy box
If you take a step back and actually think about what you have asked, you'll realise that you have asked an impossible question to answer.

How would anyone know if their alarm of any variety or dummy box has prevented a break-in.

Are you under the assumption that all who go out to break-in to property leave a note saying that they decided against this property because of the alarm, dummy etc. - They don't do that.

There could have been 200 'attempts' that were abandoned to every property in the country, or, none. Who's to know?

I have a 'pro' system installed, and have had two attempts in 12yrs.
Notice the word 'attempt' in each case the alarm has done its thing.

If you take a step back and actually think about what you have asked, you'll realise that you have asked an impossible question to answer.
.[/quote]

well actually its pretty simple to answer really and could easily be studied

Are less people with pro alarms broken into than people with DIY wireless
alarms?

If so how more likely are they to be broken in 5% 10% 15% ?

If it was found for example that a pro alarm meant you were 5% less likely
to be broken into then you could weigh up the risk PROPERLY and decide whether you think the added expense was WORTH that 5%?

Now what if the risk was the same? or only 1 or 2% different

you would effectively be getting the SAME level of protection from a system that costs say £200 than one that costs many hundreds and possibly a high maintenance contract

The money you save could be spent on better locks,doors etc or a holiday!

If a intruder sees an alarm system and breaks in anyway he is probably expecting it to make a noise and doesnt really give a FCK if it does

peace of mind is just an illusory state, just because you FEEL safer doesnt necesarily mean you are, infact it might make you less security conscious in the long run or you live your life in fear

Have to agree with "loops" here

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Spacker, you have been given all info needed. And told where to ask.
You a failed "security installer" jealous of others?

We all agree get "physical security" sorted first, then if needed/wanted/insisted upon, get 3 or more quotes.

We even give out the names of the regulatory bodies, not our own companies. So not actively chasing the possible new client, just advising.

You have as mentioned before had an issue and feel angry over something. Spit it out, really. We will understand.
But to make sweeping unproved statements about a profession and individuals is a bit unfair if you cannot back up this grievance.
You have called me a charlatan, yet I not only supply and install alarms, but also Fire Alarms, access control, locks and security devices.
Safes, and the other items associated within the umbrella you scorn so scathingly.

Please state facts, the ones you think this industry are worth demeening in a open forum.

Prove the point that security is a "con" as you infer.

I have never said security is CON!

I have said it is an industry based on FEAR PERCEPTION not FACTS

There is NO evidence that paying hundreds of pounds plus ongoing maintenance on a high spec system reduces your likelehood of being burgled than a cheap diy system or a good dummy box

Therefore i see NO INCENTIVE to buy one for ANYONE unless they are required to as you say by their insurance company

As for LOOPY ......NO ONE ASKED YOU TO POST YOUR MORONIC POSTS

IF ITS SO BORING ......DONT POST OR READ ...........SIMPLES

So put me on ignore and dont respond no one is forcing you are they

Eeeejit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back