Genuine Advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a regular poster on the Gas & Plumbing sections... Hello Alarms, CCTV & Telephones!

The reason I am posting in here today is, I've cut through an alarm cable at my property (like a dope!)

I tried, as you do, to piece the ends together and see if the alarm would just work again... Alas, it doesn't!

The advice I require is either;

Do I try and fix it, using some advice off here?

Do I replace the system, as its not 'exactly' how I'd like it?

Sponsored Links
Replace that specific cable , then reset the alarm with your code or may require an engineers visit.

What panel do you have?

I'll get details later this evening, its a property I'm renovating...

I 'think' its a Gardtec?

It's got 3 movement sensors downstairs that currently don't seem to work.

The alarm went off for about 5 minutes and then died, the keypad's still make noise and I can set a 'personal alarm' but the normal alarm doesn't appear to be working.

I've been interested in having a new(er) system placed in anyway.

Is a new alarm system for a 3 bed semi with 3 movement sensors, 4 door sensors, a carbon monoxide alarm and 2/3 smoke alarms, 2 keypads and one signal box, all mains powered an expensive system?

Can anyone recommend a company in Manchester?

When you cut threw the cable it could be 1 of 3 things ;

1. Cutting threw shorted out and blew a pcb fuse

2. You broke the tamper and the panel requires an enginners reset

3. Blowing the fuse could of stopped the sensors working causing those 3 zones to be constantly open

Sponsored Links
You are likely to find a fuse will have blown inside the control panel. This will be the fuse that protects the unit from short circuts ( and cutters ) in the cables to the sensors.

It is not the mains fuse but when looking for it be careful as there is likely to be mains in the panel and 12 volts from the standby battery,

Oh FFS, here we go!

Spackers, and YG3`s ****ing compo all over again ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back