Freesat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question to help me out.

I currently have freesat running to 1 tv, now i would like freesat in the conservatory, so.

do i have to change the LNB on the dish to a quad LNB as at the moment it is a single ??

and then obviously i would need another freesat box in the conservatory?.

thanks in advance. unless you know any other way of getting freesat to the other room without changing the LNB.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Satellite is different to TV. The sat box controls the LNB and switches between 4 states. That's why you can't split a sat cable in the same way as you'd do with a TV aerial signal.

In error when sky fitted sky+ the engineer used the out cable from the freesat box. It allowed just a limited number of channels which varied according to what freesat was tuned to.

I will guess and it's only a guess that the freesat box decides the polarisation of the LNB and so my sky+ box could only get the channels with same polarisation.

Found something similar with freeview cards on PC. I can watch one and record one with single card as long as they use same Multiplex.

However it is so hit and miss not really worth bothering with.

I have wondered why the manufactures provide an out on the box as in real terms not much good? Maybe in early days all were same polarisation?

Sky boxes have two RF outputs but my Freesat has non it is Scart or Comp Sync only. I do have a box that will convert this to RF but since I have sky it is used for DVD recorder output. Although I have a freesat box it is hardly used. I transmit the sky to all rooms with standard coax so all TV's can tune into same channel. We also have digi-eyes so we can change channels in most rooms. I find in the main I want the TV in another room so I can continue to watch same program when making dinner etc. So want all TV's to have same program.

In fact non Freeview TV's in my house have two channels. One Sky the other connected to DVD recorder which in turn can connect to Sky, or Blu-ray which in turn has internet TV plus all films on my network hard drive. So two channels is ample.

If your is same boat then either taking RF (If box has that output) or daisy chaining may suit. But if you want all channels independent of other box then it's quad LNB route.

Quad lnb's can be picked up cheaply on ebay and it's a cinch to change them over. Then just run new satellite coax to the new freesat box. The ends are easy to fit too - just strip the wire and screw them on.

I have four wires off my dish, two to a single freesat dvr which can record another channel while you watch something,. and two to a two dvb-s cards in a computer for recording via Myth. (My dvr won't let me watch stuff remotely on a laptop)

Sponsored Links
When changing a single LNB to a quad the elevation angle of the dish my require adjustment and the extra weight of the quad will cause the feedarm of the dish to sag slightly.

When fitting the screw on F connectors make sure that the outer braiding does not make contact with the slid inner core. The connections at the LNB should be sealed with self-amalgamating tape to weatherproof them.

The connections at the LNB should be sealed with self-amalgamating tape to weatherproof them.
Modern LNBs have a sliding cover that protects the F plugs from rain. Rubber boots and self-amalgamating tape are no longer needed. However, you might like to fill the plugs with silicone grease to keep out condensation.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/boots.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back