TV goes blank when I flick light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody

I have recently upgraded to Sky HD. I use a HDMI\Cat 5 extender to run the cable to my TV. It's similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Extender-Cat5e-network-cable/dp/B002ECYEYA

Now every time I turn anything on or off in the house (eg light switch, dishwasher, washing machine) the sound and picture on the TV goes blank - it will then come back about 5 seconds later.

What's going on?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's picking up interference or a pulse through the mains causing the system to corrupt it's HDMI sync.

If it's using a mains adapter then have a look for an adapter of better quality (regulated rather than unregulated).

I got a regulated mains adapter from Maplin. Unfortunately it doesn't make much difference.

I guess the HDMI\Cat5 converter itself is probably duff?

Sponsored Links
For future reference, use CAT6 cable and make sure it's not running close to any mains cables.

That extender from Amazon does seem unbelievably cheap. You get what you pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back