Boiler dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our Worcester 40cdi boiler has started to drip from underneath (slightly left of middle). Its quite hard to see exactly where its coming from as the previous house owners put a fixed shelf underneath it. On Friday it probably dripped about half a pint over 24 hours - now its more like a pint and a half. The water is warm. We have an engineer coming around on Monday for a booked service - can it wait until then? Any ideas what the problem may be and how much it will cost? Thanks for any feedback...

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Yes - seems to be. Its currently slightly below 1

I would expect anyone calling me for a service to advise me of any leaks or other problems.

Depending on the cause then I would probably charge for a repair rather than a service.

A service is a non urgent routine procedure whereas a repair is to remedy a malfunction and is usually attended to as early as possible, normally the same day.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
if you have lost 2 pints from the boiler your pressure would probably be at zero! dependant on the size of the system!

Is the water clear or murky??

Can you look up inside the boiler from underneath using a mirror! theres a white corrugated plastic pipe and at the end a grey plastic bit, feel around it ..can you feel water?

Good news if it is the condensate leaking..cheap fix!

Think Im pretty spot on with the estimating - Im a maths teacher - sadly not a boiler engineer! I called to confirm the service and mentioned we had a drip - the guy didnt seem too bothered (although at that time it wasnt as much of a concern). If its not going to do any further damage to the boiler then Im happy to leave it until Monday

I cant really see anything due to the shelf - I guess I will probably have to remove it. The water is crystal clear.

Thanks again

don t worry about it! you ll have to give him decent clearance for Mon though! would put money on it being condense related...these boilers aren't known as leaking boilers (extremely rare)

should be a nice job for your man!!

I should have mentioned that!

The manufacturers state a clear distance which should be left unobstructed under a boiler.

I dont get involved in woodwork and I discuss this on the phone before I come to ensure it is removed if necessary before I come.

Most boilers need 200 mm underneath!

Tony Glazier

Cheers.

Will keep an eye on it and if it doesnt get any worse ill just hang on.

Fingers crosses for the cheap fix...

Think Im pretty spot on with the estimating - Im a maths teacher - sadly not a boiler engineer!

Thanks again

With the current shortage of good maths teachers and the consequent financial incentives being offered a maths teacher is usually on a good deal.

After a few years and a head of year or subject they can be on a much better deal than any normal boiler engineer as well as having very long holidays as well.

One of my customers is now head of subject at a private school and writes physics text books as a hobby/extra income! I suppose his PhD looks good on books and job applications.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back