sky enginners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new sky hd box fitted,the engineer tried to re-tune the tvs in our kitchen and my daughters bedroom which have the tv mouse magic eyes fitted.He could not tune them in or dint not have the time,I tune them in but could not get the sky hd controls to turn over the channels.Sky sent another engineer out ,he got them working but in my daughter room it only work with the DVD/video recorder on.After he had left, we found our free-view did not work in any of the rooms,on the screen it said to check the Aeriel's connection,which we found the Aeriel was disconnected after re-tuning free-view in we could not change sky over in the rooms with the mouses in again.Before all this we had a old pace box which was fitted by a proper engineer and we had no problems. :confused: Any advise would be much appreciated, as another so called engineer is coming out to morrow.

I must admit I think this is what you get with sky screwing everyone probably their engineers more then everyone.sorry for such a long post

Sponsored Links
Sorting out Sky eyes and setting up your TV distribution system isn't really something that Sky engineers should be taking on. It isn't that they can't, or that they don't have the skills. It's time & money on things that Sky doesn't sell.

Sky puts a lot of its install work out to sub-contracted engineers. They get paid (not very much) per job, so if a job takes more than a set amount of time the engineer is actually losing money. They just don't have the time to diagnose and set up a Sky eye system and tune up all the TVs in your house.

If you want this done right then you're either going to have to pay someone to spend the time doing it, or learn to do it yourself.

Having said all the above, it's the first engineer who really made a mess of things. He should have either left well alone, or set the new box to the same RF channel as the old one and switched on the 12V output for the eyes. As long as the older remotes work the new box then that should have been fine to get the eye system running again.

Setting the remotes to control the TVs (if that is what you meant) can also be a bit of a lottery. If you kept your old remotes then this shouldn't be a problem. If they worked once then they should work again. But if you had replacement remotes then there's no guarantee they'll still work.

Sky remotes have a limited amount of storage space for the codes for the various models of TV. Later versions of the remotes will be more up to date for newer models, but older and more obscure brands get deleted to make space in the memory. You can follow the programming guide from Sky's onscreen help menu [press interactive on your Sky remote control and select Sky Active from the menu that appears. Select Help Centre from the next menu, then Set Up My Sky Remote from the Help options.] or go online online and search for the info using Sky's wizard.

Thank you for your reply Chris,I agree with you on what the sky engineers are being paid, (£16) but as my system was working before the first engineer touch it.I Don't see why I should pay again because sky are not paying their engineers enough.
Also the system I had before the handset(remotes) would not work on the new system I had fitted told by the engineer(had to buy sky hd remotes).Also when we ordered the hd box we were told it would not effect the magic eyes.
So that's why we went ahead.

Chris .quote.
You can follow the programming guide from Sky's onscreen help menu [press interactive on your Sky remote control and select Sky Active from the menu that appears. Select Help Centre from the next menu, then Set Up My Sky Remote from the Help options.] or go online online and search for the info using Sky's wizard.

I have done that, it turns the TV off and on and adjust the volume but as I said before not the channels.

Once again thank you for taking the time to reply But I do know the score with their time as I am self employed myself .and I have lost money on jobs where I Had to spend time making sure it was right before I left.
Anyway thanks again

If it's just the eyes then that are not working you have to do a bit of home troubleshooting:

Start with the simplest system:
#1) Sky box, coax cable to RF2, sky eye attached out of sight of the Sky box.
#2) make sure RF2 power is on. Check the LED on the Sky eye. If it is illuminated then all is good. Try changing channel. If not illuminated the recheck connections and power on setting (remember to confirm with green button to store). Check wiring in RF plugs: Stray shield wires touching the centre pin will stop the eyes working. Make sure Sky eye is connected the right way round. If all else fails, plug eye directly in to RF2... no light = dead eye.
#3) assuming you got things working in #2. connect eye to TV, tune TV and test
#4) introduce the distribution amp used to send signals to the two TVs. Wire up only the TV you just tested. If it still works then wire the second TV. If not then you have a problem with the amp or the additional cabling.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply Chris,I agree with you on what the sky engineers are being paid, (£16) but as my system was working before the first engineer touch it.I Don't see why I should pay again because sky are not paying their engineers enough.

A bit off colour, given as has been pointed out, that he only touched it in the first place to try and do you a favour. Won't he lose some install money if there are callbacks?

Chris once again thanks for your time and help.

caja quote.
A bit off colour, given as has been pointed out, that he only touched it in the first place to try and do you a favour. Won't he lose some install money if there are callbacks?

the first engineer told me to get in touch with sky to get another engineer out.Plus sky told me that they are suppose to re-tune if their is any problems.

Thank you guys for taking the time to give me advise ,another sky engineer came today and sorted it.Faulty connection on the connection in my daughters room :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back