cctv over distance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Going to be fitting a new cctv setup(low/mid end) for my house, following a recent burglary. I am adding 2 cams to the front and 2 to the rear.

Now I want to add another one to the shed, which will face the rear of my house, but the only problem is that its about 25m away from the house. All cameras will be wired day/night ones fixed to house walls, so it will be easy to wire into the loft. The shed one will be a pain

Is it possible for me to send the video using homeplugs? Plan was camera in the shed to balun connected via ethernet cable to the homeplug (plugged into socket). Then in the house from homeplug to balun to camera. I can connect power supply for the camera at the shed end.

This would just mean everything is recorded using 1 dvr and can be accessed remotely easier.

Sponsored Links
No.

'Homeplugs' send an ethernet protocol over the mains wiring instead of over balanced UTP cat5e cable. Ethernet being the network TCP/IP protocol for computer networking.

BALUNS do not use ethernet - they just use the BALanced pairs of the cat5e cable to send the UNbalanced composite CCTV over. (actually just a single pair of the cable).

You could go wireless, but it's never going to be the same as using cable unless you invest heavily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back